Alonso unconcerned about racing in Barcelona following pre-season accident

0 Comments

MONTMELO – Fernando Alonso has no concerns about racing at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya this weekend despite suffering an accident at the circuit during pre-season testing that forced him to miss the first race of the 2015 Formula 1 season.

Whilst testing for McLaren in Barcelona in February, Alonso suffered a bizarre accident at turn three on the circuit, with a number of different reasons being given for the crash.

The end result was that Alonso had to spend three days in hospital, and was advised by his doctors to miss the opening race of the year in Australia in the middle of March.

Speaking ahead of his home event in Spain on Sunday, Alonso said that he had no concerns about returning to the track and is relishing the chance to race in front of his fans.

“No concerns,” Alonso said. “That was an accident that happened three months ago and unfortunately it was a little bit longer to recover.

“The impact was a little bit unlucky and it put me one month out of the car. But yeah, coming back here with full confidence and full motivation to do well, to perform and to deliver a good result in front of the home crowd.”

Alonso revealed that he is taking the hospital staff that cared for him out for dinner at the end of the race weekend to say thank you for their work and support earlier this yeah.

“The week that I was in the hospital, I had some of the best staff I could imagine,” he said. “They were so kind to me and I plan to have dinner with them, probably on Sunday.

“I’m staying here on Monday for one event with a sponsor, so Sunday night after all the stress and the race has passed, I will have dinner with all of them.”

McLaren is due to bring a number of updates to the race in Spain for the MP4-30 that could give Alonso and teammate Jenson Button a chance to score their first points of the season after a difficult start to 2015.