Grosjean expects to lose ten FP1 sessions in 2015

0 Comments

MONTMELO – Romain Grosjean has revealed that he is expecting to lose ten practice sessions across the course of the 2015 Formula 1 season to make way for Lotus reserve driver Jolyon Palmer.

Palmer joined the team in a reserve role at the beginning of the year following his GP2 title victory in 2014, and has replaced Grosjean for FP1 in China, Bahrain and Spain.

Many teams use reserve drivers during practice sessions to give them experience behind the wheel of their cars. However, most opt to share the losses evenly between its two race drivers.

At Lotus, Grosjean has been the only driver to make way for Palmer on every occasion, giving Pastor Maldonado over four hours of additional track time so far this season.

When asked by MotorSportsTalk if he would be making way for Palmer at all this season, Maldonado said: “It is not up to me. If they ask me, I will do it.”

However, Grosjean claimed that Maldonado has been asked by the team, and made no secret of his frustration over his loss of track time.

“Well yes,” Grosjean said when asked by MST if he felt frustrated by the decisions. “I don’t think it’s going to change.”

He was then informed that Maldonado had said he would happily sit out instead if asked. “That’s surprising,” Grosjean said, “because I’ve asked plenty of times already.

“It’s ten times. Ten times it’s going to hurt me as far as I’m aware. I think… he has been asked.”

Lotus is known to receive a large sum of money from Maldonado in the form of sponsorship from his backers, Venezuelan oil giant PDVSA. Grosjean, on the other hand, brings less backing, which may act as an explanation for how frequently he has been sidelined so far this year.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.