After dominating the weekend in Barcelona, Nico Rosberg carried over that momentum – and pace – to lead the first day of Formula 1’s first in-season test.
Rosberg banked 146 laps on the first day at the Circuit de Catalunya, with his morning time of 1:24.374 fastest on a new, unmarked compound of Pirelli rubber in the Mercedes W06.
Marcus Ericsson was second, albeit a full two seconds back in his Sauber Ferrari.
A number of young drivers made appearances on the opening day of the test.
Raffaele Marciello returned to Ferrari for his first on-track running since an FP1 appearance for Sauber in Malaysia.
Nick Yelloly made his debut for Force India, deputizing for an unwell Pascal Wehrlein, while Pierre Gasly (Toro Rosso) and Oliver Turvey (McLaren) also were out. Each of these three made their first F1 on-track appearances this season.
Tuesday times are below:
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:24.374, 146
2. Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:26.624, 98
3. Raffaele Marciello Ferrari 1:26.648, 125
4. Daniil Kvyat Red Bull 1:26.904, 101
5. Pastor Maldonado Lotus 1:27.338, 60
6. Nick Yelloly Force India 1:27.396, 109
7. Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso 1:27.639, 131
8. Felipe Massa Williams 1:27.911, 54
9. Oliver Turvey McLaren 1:28.542, 68