More young drivers took over the cockpits in the second day of testing at the Circuit de Catalunya, with Jolyon Palmer ending fastest on the day in the Lotus E23 Mercedes.
Last year’s GP2 champion took over from Pastor Maldonado and posted a best time of 1:26.080 in 87 laps. Nico Rosberg’s Tuesday time remains the fastest of the week.
The only two race drivers who drove on Wednesday were Jenson Button of McLaren Honda, who banked 100 laps, and Carlos Sainz Jr. in his Toro Rosso Renault.
As ace statistician Sean Kelly put it, Button completed nearly a quarter of the laps the entire team did during preseason testing in just one day!
The other youngsters driving included Mercedes reserve Pascal Wehrlein, who took over the W06 from Rosberg and turned in the most laps of the day with 137, Pierre Gasly, who shifted from Toro Rosso to Red Bull, Alex Lynn for Williams, Esteban Ocon for Force India, Esteban Gutierrez at Ferrari and Raffaele Marciello now back at Sauber.
Wednesday times are below:
1. Jolyon Palmer Lotus 1:26.080, 87
2. Pascal Wehrlein Mercedes 1:26.497, 137
3. Pierre Gasly Red Bull 1:26.683, 75
4. Jenson Button McLaren 1:26.927, 100
5. Alex Lynn Williams 1:26.967, 52
6. Esteban Ocon Force India 1:27.520, 94
7. Esteban Gutierrez Ferrari 1:27.930, 119
8. Carlos Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso 1:27.996, 126
9. Raffaele Marciello Sauber 1:28.829, 75