RC Enerson continues to grow, develop after second podium at IMS

Leave a comment

One of the pleasant surprises early on in the Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires season has been RC Enerson, with the 18-year-old quickly becoming a threat to the title contending establishment just four race weekends into his career.

Enerson, who bypassed Pro Mazda and instead moved up to Indy Lights after parts of three seasons in USF2000, posted his career-best finish of second in Saturday’s Round 7 of the season.

Problem was, the driver of the No. 7 Lucas Oil Dallara IL15-Mazda was hoping he’d finish third behind teammate Jack Harvey, whose No. 42 Racing Steps Foundation entry seized up and went into limp mode while running second on the final lap. Harvey ended P5.

“I tried to chase down Jack, but all day the car really started to come in nicely. I was happy with third, and I wish he would have been here as well,” Enerson said in the post-race press conference.

“But this is still very special. To get a podium here is definitely a life goal accomplished.”

Enerson, who ended third in Barber’s first race of the weekend, described his day Saturday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

“The end result of the race was good,” Enerson said. “The start was a little hairy. There was a lot of stuff going on and we fell back really far in the field. Then we were able to just pick it up one by one by one. We ended up getting up there with Jack [Harvey] and I was following him through everybody.  But then to have him lose power at the end really sucks. I sympathize with him, but it’s one step closer for me to the stop step. That’s what my goal is.

“We’re just learning so much so quickly and I’m looking to just do better and better each race.”

Here’s a quick video highlight recap of Enerson’s day:

Enerson currently ranks fifth in the points, nine behind fourth-placed Max Chilton of Carlin.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.