Formula E: Audi Sport ABT confirms unchanged line-up for season two

0 Comments

The Audi Sport ABT Formula E team has confirmed that it will run with an unchanged line-up for the second season of the FIA Formula E championship after extending the contracts of both Lucas di Grassi and Daniel Abt.

Championship leader di Grassi confirmed ahead of the Monaco ePrix two weeks ago that he would be remaining with the team for the 2015-2016 season, but confirmation of its unchanged roster came on Thursday with the announcement of Daniel Abt’s contract extension.

Abt has made a solid start to life in Formula E, scoring one pole position and one podium finish so far this season. The German driver currently ranks 11th in the championship standings, and was delighted to announce that he would be remaining with the Audi-backed team for season two.

“Formula E is going through a fantastic stage of development that includes exciting races and many cool ideas off the track,” Abt said.

“I think this series has a great future. I’m delighted to still be on board, and want to grow together with Formula E. I’m obviously very proud that I can race in the future with the team that carries our family name.”

Audi Sport ABT boss Hans-Jurgen Abt was pleased to make the team’s intentions for season two public, and is confident that continuity will be beneficial.

“I’m pleased that our two drivers are fully committed to us and that we can look to the future together with our dream team,” Abt said. “Motorsport is a hectic business, which is why we aim for continuity in such important aspects like technology, partners and drivers to create the greatest possible cohesion and calm within the team.

“It’s great that we have achieved this, and now we can concentrate completely on the end of season run.”

The Formula E championship continues this weekend with the Berlin ePrix, taking place in the grounds of the disused Berlin Tempelhof airport.