Carlos Sainz Jr to start Monaco GP from pit lane

0 Comments

Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz Jr will start tomorrow’s Monaco Grand Prix from the pit lane after failing to stop for a weight check during the first stage of qualifying on Saturday.

Sainz originally qualified in eighth place for the race following a strong display in qualifying, but was called before the stewards after failing to go to the weighbridge for a customary check.

“The driver failed to stop for weighing during Q1 when signalled to do so by the red traffic light, the car was not returned to the FIA garage and work was undertaken,” the stewards’ report reads.

“In accordance with Article 26.1 (iv) of the FIA Formula One Sporting regulations the driver is required to start from the pit lane.”

Speaking after the decision was made public, Sainz made no secret of his disappointment and seemed uneasy about the prospect of starting a race where overtaking is difficult from so far back.

“Considering where we were in FP1, FP2 and FP3, a P8 in today’s qualifying session could have seemed disappointing,” Sainz said.

“But we need to remember that our objective was always to get into Q3 in order to fight for points in tomorrow’s race, and that’s what we had done today.

“I was actually quite satisfied and happy with a P8 in my debut in Monaco, but the stewards’ decision for me to start from the pit lane for not stopping at the weighing bridge in Q1 is very disappointing.

“78 laps around here in tomorrow’s race will now be even tougher. In Monaco it’s very difficult to overtake but I will try my best.”

Sainz’s teammate, Max Verstappen, makes up one position on the grid for tomorrow’s race as a result of the penalty, meaning that he will start from P9.

“I’m disappointed with qualifying in P10 here in Monaco,” Verstappen said. “Q1 and Q2 were okay, even though I was already starting to struggle with the tyres, but in Q3 it was really difficult to get the tires up to temperature.

“I had no grip at all and started to lock-up a lot, and in my last run I was only eight hundredths faster with a new set of iyres. We have to make sure we look into this and understand the reason.

“We will try and make the most out of today’s result in tomorrow’s race, but it won’t be easy. I will try and make a good start, stay out of trouble and hopefully fight for some more points.”

F1 Countdown for the Monaco Grand Prix is live on NBCSN from 7am on Sunday, before switching over to NBC at 7:30am ET for the race.