F3 race at Monza cancelled due to poor driving standards

3 Comments

Having a race red flagged due to poor driving standards is something of a rarity in motorsport. In the most extreme cases, individual drivers will often be given the black flag and disqualified from the race, with Sergio Canamasas receiving such a sanction at Monza last year in GP2.

However, standards were so bad in the FIA F3 European Championship at Monza on Sunday that the race was red flagged and abandoned after just nine laps of running.

Drivers had been warned about driving standards following a crash-strewn race on Saturday that was eventually red flagged with just 12 laps completed.

Ferrari junior driver Lance Stroll was fortunate to escape unharmed from a terrifying crash at Curva Grande following contact with Antonio Giovinazzi in what was just one of a number of on-track incidents.

A first-lap collision involving American driver Ryan Tveter in the third and final race of the weekend on Sunday resulted in an early safety car, and another incident on the restart prompted the race director to issue a red flag and abandon running after just nine laps.

British driver Felix Rosenqvist managed to avoid much of the drama to win all three races, but was only awarded half points for two of them as 75% of the scheduled running had not been reached.

“My car was perfect throughout the weekend, which I was able to prove by three pole positions and three race wins,” Rosenqvist said.

“Unfortunately, we also got half the points in this race, too, because we didn’t get to complete 75 percent of the scheduled race distance.”

Rosenqvist summed up his thoughts of the driving standards on Saturday on Twitter.

The FIA F3 European Championship has produced a number of outstanding young drivers in recent years including Max Verstappen, Raffaele Marciello and Esteban Ocon. It would appear that the same cannot be said for all of the drivers on the 2015 grid, though.