NFL great reveals he’s a slowpoke at Texas Motor Speedway

3 Comments

Charles Haley was known for his speed and pursuing action on the football field, earning a record five Super Bowl championships during his NFL career with the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers.

But when it comes to going from a football field to a racetrack, Haley – who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August – isn’t the fearless defensive end/linebacker he used to be.

When asked if he would like to take his classic 1968 Ford Mustang for a spin on Texas Motor Speedway – where he served as honorary starter for Saturday’s Firestone 600 IndyCar race – Haley demurred.

“That’s my girlfriend, we keep it real slow,” Haley said of his car. “Nothing over 45 (mph).”

But that’s not to say Haley doesn’t like speed. He’s quickly become an IndyCar fan, although he’d never try to emulate the guys behind the wheel.

“You have to be a little nuts to drive,” he said, “but it’s very exciting to watch on TV and now to see it in person.”

We have to wonder, after watching all of those Indy cars doing 200-mph plus, did Haley put the petal to the metal when leaving TMS after Saturday night’s race?

Like maybe 46 mph – or, gosh, maybe even get it all the way up to 50?

And wouldn’t it be ironic if Haley turned on his radio and out came Sammy Hagar’s “I Can’t Drive 55!”

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.