D’Ambrosio: London ePrix circuit to pose “a big challenge”

Leave a comment

Jerome d’Ambrosio has delivered his first thoughts on the circuit that will be used for the FIA Formula E season finale in London in two weeks’ time, saying that it will pose “a big challenge” to drivers.

The inaugural season of the series will end in London with a double-header round. A circuit in the grounds of Battersea Park in the heart of the city is being constructed for the event.

D’Ambrosio, winner of the Berlin ePrix last month, visited the venue on Thursday as part of a media day previewing the races on June 27 and 28.

“I don’t think I’ve ever raced anywhere quite as pretty as this, with all the trees and flowers next to the track,” d’Ambrosio said.

“I think we’ll need to use our clear visors because of the shade caused by the trees. And I hope I’m not in the first qualifying group as I think there are going to be a lot of leaves on the track at that stage too.

“It’s going to be a big challenge for sure. We will run the car higher than usual to stop the floor of the car touching the road and to make sure that when we hit the brakes all four wheels are on the ground. I think there could be a lot of safety cars!”

Boasting 200 acres of space, Battersea Park was opened back in 1858 by Queen Victoria and is one of the few venues on the Formula E calendar that does not incorporate public roads, limiting disruption in London.

“We looked at many venues for a London race and Battersea provided the best solution,” series CEO Alejandro Agag said.

“It’s in the heart of the city, it has great transport links and because it takes place inside of the park, we don’t have to shut any roads.”

Formula E heads to its London finale with four drivers in the mathematical running for the title, but the real battle appears to lie between first-placed Nelson Piquet Jr (128 points) and Lucas di Grassi (111).

Wickens undergoes successful surgery

NBC Sports
2 Comments

Just days after successfully piloting an Acura NSX around Toronto’s Exhibition Palace street course, Robert Wickens has undergone a successful surgery operation to remove hardware from his leg after a previous infection had returned, the 30-year-old Canadian revealed on social media Wednesday.

“Spinal Cord injury has such highs and lows,” Wickens said in an Instagram post prior to surgery. “One day I’m in the NSX driving the hand controlled car, and the next day I’m getting ready for surgery. Life is so unpredictable!”

Fortunately, the surgery went well for Wickens, as he later announced that his surgery had no complications. Wickens will now start six weeks of IV antibiotics before he returns to a full rehab program.

“One piece (there’s a lot) of the hardware had an infected screw,” Wickens wrote. “All hardware in my leg was removed.”

Wickens is currently recovering from spinal fracture sustained in an IndyCar crash at Pocono Raceway last August. Since his crash and diagnosis, Wickens has openly documented his recovery process through social media.

Wickens returned to the INDYCAR paddock for the first time since his accident at the season-opener in St. Petersburg in March, and his laps behind the wheel in Toronto last weekend marked the first time he had driven in public since his accident.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter