Alguersuari elects to drop out of FE finale for security reasons; Leimer to replace

2 Comments

Ex-Toro Rosso F1 driver Jaime Alguersuari has confirmed he won’t be taking part in this weekend’s FIA Formula E Championship finale at Battersea Park in London, after it was discovered he had fainted after the Moscow ePrix held earlier this month.

Alguersuari said in a note written on his Facebook page that while he felt good enough to participate, for both security reasons and for further medical research, he would need to rule himself out of competition.

Alguersuari wrote:

On June 6th, after the Moscow ePrix I suffered a faint as a result of dehydration and extreme exhaustion during the race.

As a consequence of this faint I had some medical tests done, with succesful results, and at the moment my license is temporarily suspended until the FIA makes sure that I’m fully able to carry on with my sporting career.

My health is safe and I’m in shape, and I’m absolutely convinced I can compete this weekend, but for security reasons we need to delve into medical research. For this reason, together with Virgin Racing, the FIA and the doctors we’ve decided not to take part in the London ePrix this weekend.

It’s a shame because it will be the last ePrix of the season and I wanted to race in front of our fans, but we must be respectful with the FIA’s procedures.

I want to wish all the luck to my team Virgin Racing in the last ePrix of the 2014/15 Formula E season.

The 2013 GP2 champion, Fabio Leimer, will replace Alguersuari at Virgin Racing alongside Sam Bird. Leimer will be the fourth driver making their FE debut in London this weekend, along with Simona de Silvestro (Andretti FE), Sakon Yamamoto (Amlin Aguri) and Oliver Turvey (NEXTEV TCR).

Alguersuari finishes the year with 30 points scored, and currently ranks 11th in the championship. His best finish was fourth at Buenos Aires earlier this year, and he also set the fastest race lap in Malaysia last fall, in a race teammate Bird won.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.