Vergne hoping to break winless streak in London

Leave a comment

LONDON – Jean-Eric Vergne hopes to break his winless duck and claim his first victory of the FIA Formula E season at this weekend’s double-header round in London.

Vergne joined the Andretti Formula E Team in Punta del Este towards the end of 2014 after being released by Scuderia Toro Rosso in Formula 1.

Since then, he has scored more pole positions than any other driver in Formula E, starting from the front of the grid for races in Punta del Este, Miami and Moscow.

However, Vergne has failed to convert any of the poles into a race win, scoring just one podium finish in the past seven races.

The Frenchman is now hoping to finally break his winless duck at Battersea Park this weekend, with the double-header race offering two opportunities for him to do so.

“Obviously it was a shame not to win,” Vergne told MotorSportsTalk. “I had many poles, all those great performances, but I always got some issues in the race that wouldn’t allow me to win the race.

“So it’s a bit of a shame but here there are two races so hopefully it will work out.”

Vergne is yet to confirm his plans for the second season of Formula E, which is set to start this fall, and remains open to any opportunities that may present themselves.

“I don’t know, we’ll see,” Vergne said when asked about a second season in Formula E. “We’ll consider the options that are out and then make the best choice and the best decision.”

Vergne has also been working with Ferrari as a simulator driver, and reported that it was going “very well, very well. I’m really happy there.”

Keating stripped of Le Mans GTE-Am win; No. 68 Ganassi entry also disqualified

IMSA
2 Comments

FIA stewards announced Monday that two Ford GT entries have been disqualified from this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, including the GTE-Am class-winning No. 85 entry from privateer Keating Motorsports.

Also DQ’d was the factory No. 68 Chip Ganassi Racing entry of Joey Hand, Dirk Mueller and Sebastien Bourdais, which initially finished fourth in the GTE-Pro class.

Both entries were found in violation of fuel capacity regulations, with the No. 85 entry also failing to meet the minimum refueling time during pit stops.

The refueling system on the No. 85 entry, driven by Ben Keating, Jeroen Bleekemolen and Felipe Fraga, measured a time of 44.4 seconds during a stop, just shy of the minimum required time of 45 seconds.

As a result, the team was initially issued a 55.2-second post-race penalty by officials, which elevated the No. 56 Team Project 1 Porsche 911 RSR of Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Lindsey, and Egidio Perfetti to the class win.

The time penalty was calculated by the difference in the refueling time (0.6 seconds) multiplied by the amount of pit stops made by the team (23), then multiplied by four.

The No. 85 entry was set to finish second in class, but then received an outright DQ after its fuel capacity was also revealed to be 0.1 liters above the maximum permitted capacity of 96 liters.

As for Ganassi’s No. 68 entry, it was found to have a fuel capacity of 97.83 liters, which is above the maximum allowed capacity of 97 liters for the GTE-Pro Fords.

The No. 67 Ford of Andy Priaulx, Harry Tincknell, and Jonathan Bomarito subsequently moves up to fourth, and the No. 69 Ford of Scott Dixon, Ryan Briscoe and Richard Westbrook moves up to fifth.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter