Hunter-Reay keen to make up for Fontana disappointment in Milwaukee

Leave a comment

Ryan Hunter-Reay has set his sights on joining an exclusive club of four-time winners at the Milwaukee Mile in this weekend’s ACB Supply Wisconsin 250 as he bids to revive his difficult 2015 season.

The 2012 Verizon IndyCar Series champion has struggled to find any kind of form so far this year, recording a best finish of fifth at the Grand Prix of Alabama in April.

At the MAVTV 500 in Fontana two weeks ago, Hunter-Reay had been battling towards the front of the field following the late red flag period.

However, following contact with Ryan Briscoe with one lap remaining, the Andretti driver crashed out and was eventually classified in 16th position.

Hunter-Reay is refusing to get too downbeat about missing out, though, and remains upbeat ahead of the race in Milwaukee this weekend.

“We were just one lap away from a breakthrough result in Fontana, so hopefully we can put it all together this weekend at one of my favorite tracks, The Milwaukee Mile,” Hunter-Reay said in preview of the race.

“We’ve had success at this track in the past and it would be a huge achievement to join the short list of four-time winners at the famed one-mile oval.”

Hunter-Reay claimed his first win in Milwaukee back in 2004 in Champ Car, leading all 250 laps in the process. He was also victorious in his championship year of 2012 and again in 2013.

As noted in our preview of this weekend’s race, if we are to go by the form book, Andretti’s hopes of success this weekend may lay within the family.

Marco Andretti heads to Milwaukee with four top-five finishes in the past five races, including two podiums, and has twice started from pole at the famous Mile.

“Milwaukee has a ton of history – both as the oldest track in the U.S. and for my family which has nine wins at the track,” Andretti said.

“It’s a challenging short oval, but we need to crack the top five in points for the Snapple car. I’m aiming for a third pole there and would love a win at The Mile.”

For full broadcast details ahead of the ABC Supply Wisconsin 250, click here.

Alex Zanardi showing signs of interaction three months after crash

Alex Zanardi recovery
Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MILAN — Italian racing driver turned Paralympic gold medalist Alex Zanardi has started responding to treatment with signs of interaction, more than three months after he was seriously injured in a handbike crash.

Zanardi has spent most of that time in intensive care after crashing into an oncoming truck during a relay event near the Tuscan town of Pienza on June 19.

“For several days now. Alex Zanardi has undergone cognitive and motor rehabilitation sessions, with the administration of visual and acoustic stimuli, to which the patient responds with momentary and initial signs of interaction,” the San Raffaele hospital in Milan said in a statement Thursday.

The hospital said that is “significant progress” but added that his condition remains serious, and that it would be “absolutely premature” to make a long-term prognosis.

Zanardi, 53, suffered serious facial and cranial trauma in the crash and was put in a medically induced coma. Doctors have warned of possible brain damage.

He was operated on several times to stabilize him and reconstruct his severely damaged face and the Milan hospital added that he recently had undergone another surgery to reconstruct his skull and would have another one in the coming weeks.

Zanardi lost both of his legs in an auto racing crash nearly 20 years ago. He won four gold medals and two silvers at the 2012 and 2016 Paralympics. He also competed in the New York City Marathon and set an Ironman record in his class.