Report: Bottas to join Ferrari for 2016 in $13m deal

11 Comments

Valtteri Bottas is set to replace Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari for the 2016 Formula 1 season according to a report in the Italian press.

Corriere dello Sport reported on Friday that Ferrari has struck an agreement with Williams to bring Bottas to Maranello next year despite the Finn having eighteen months remaining on his contract.

Bottas first joined Williams in a reserve role in 2012 after winning the GP3 title on a five-year deal, due to expire at the end of 2016.

With a settlement being agreed for his release, Ferrari is set to replace Kimi Raikkonen and partner Bottas with Sebastian Vettel for next season.

Ferrari has an option on Raikkonen’s services for 2016 that must be activated before the end of July according to the report, but after an underwhelming second stint at Maranello, it appears that the 2007 world champion is bound for the exit.

The report claims that this deal “sets in motion a domino effect involving at least four teams”, naming Felipe Nasr as a possible replacement for Bottas at Williams. Nasr spent the 2014 season in a reserve role with the British team before joining Sauber in 2015.

However, Williams’ current reserve is Alex Lynn, who is another possible replacement for Bottas. Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg has also been linked with a move back to the team that he drove for in 2010, but a number of drivers are known to be vying for the seat.

That said, Finnish journalist Oskari Saari claims that Bottas’ departure from Williams “is not a done deal”.

Bottas’ manager, Didier Coton, chipped in with this comment on Twitter.

Any possible move would have major ramifications for the 2016 driver market, though. It would indeed set in place a domino effect that could also involve Jenson Button and Romain Grosjean, who are both without a firm deal for next season.

It would also most probably mark the end of Kimi Raikkonen’s F1 career. The Finn has suggested in the past that he would quit the sport when he left Ferrari, and it is unlikely that he would be willing to race for a team further down the grid.

Factor in the arrival of Haas F1 Team and two more seats on the grid, and the stage is set for F1’s ‘silly season’ to enter full swing next weekend in Hungary.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.