Karun Chandhok is set to part company with Mahindra Racing ahead of the second FIA Formula E season following a difficult first campaign in the championship, according to a report.
Chandhok raced for Mahindra alongside Bruno Senna in the electric-powered series’ inaugural season, scoring 18 points – all of which came in the first two races – to finish 17th in the final standings.
Speaking to Press Trust of India, Chandhok revealed that he is set to step away from Formula E and will instead focus on sportscar racing for the rest of 2015.
“It is looking increasingly unlikely,” Chandhok said when asked if he’d be continuing with Mahindra.
“Obviously season one was a disappointment for us after a good start. We seem to have differing thoughts on what direction the team needs to go in to improve in season two.
“Ultimately Dilbagh Gill [Mahindra team principal] has decided he wants to experiment with some changes to the overall team.
“From my side I am going to step away and spend the next few months refocusing on my options in sportscar racing and also some new projects.”
Mahindra is yet to officially announce its line-up for season two, but looks set to retain Senna after the Brazilian led the team’s charge in season one and even played a pivotal role in deciding the championship at the final race in London.
PTI’s report also claims that Mahindra will be announcing its line-up for season two on Monday at Donington Park, where the first official pre-season test will take place.
“We are very close to deciding on the drivers for the upcoming season,” Gill said. “We have tested with a lot of exciting drivers in the past one month and we are evaluating who is best for the team.
“Whoever comes on board, the bottomline is performance of the team. Last year was disappointing to be honest. We did not perform to our capabilities. It wasn’t acceptable to anyone in the team.”