Bird and Vergne confirmed at DS Virgin Racing for second Formula E season

1 Comment

Sam Bird and Jean-Eric Vergne will race for DS Virgin Racing in the second season of the FIA Formula E championship.

Ahead of the first pre-season test on Monday at Donington Park in England, the British team has confirmed that Bird will be retained following a successful debut campaign in the electric series.

“Last season was a learning curve but one I thoroughly enjoyed, so I’m elated to be back with the DS Virgin Racing team for the 2015/16 season,” Bird said.

“We had two great wins last season in Malaysia and then at my home race in London, so the aim is to build on that success and have a fantastic second season in Formula E.

“The advancements to the car around the powertrain are really exciting so I’m looking forward to getting back behind the wheel shortly in Donington to get some good testing in before the first race in Beijing.”

Vergne joins DS Virgin after racing for Andretti in season one, scoring three pole positions and two podium finishes en route to seventh place in the final championship standings.

“I am delighted to be joining the DS Virgin Racing Team at such an exciting time for the team, and also for the series given the new regulations for season two,” the ex-F1 driver said.

“With the DS brand coming on board as a new partner to the team, I am looking forward to being aligned with a French, forward thinking marque. I understand that there are a number of exciting things going on behind the scenes that should ensure that we have a competitive start to the season.

“Looking back to my first race of last season where I qualified on pole, I am very excited to be getting back into a racing seat at the first race of the season in October.

“I am confident that my raw pace and appetite for success will help ensure that DS Virgin Racing continues to be one of the leading teams in Formula E.”

Vergne will replace Jaime Alguersuari at DS Virgin for season two after the Spaniard announced earlier this week that he would take no part in season two due to medical concerns.

The Frenchman’s arrival at the team also frees up a seat at Amlin Andretti. The American team is expected to run Simona de Silvestro in one of its cars for 2015-2016, with the second potentially being shared by other Andretti-affiliated drivers.

Juncos Racing to field single car entry in Indy 500

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Part-time NTT IndyCar Series entrant Juncos Racing will announce their attempt to qualify for the 2019 Indianapolis 500 within the next few weeks, according to RACER.

The team, which made its Indy 500 debut in 2017, ran 12 of the 17 IndyCar Series races last season, but has only made a start in one of the four events so far in 2019, finishing 18th in the inaugural running of the IndyCar Classic at Circuit of the Americas with Kyle Kaiser behind the wheel.

Though no driver has yet to be announced for the single-car entry, Kaiser is expected to be the leading candidate for the ride. The 23-year-old Californian has raced for the team since 2014, where he won the 2017 Indy Lights championship.

One of the top teams in the Road to Indy ladder system, Juncos Racing has over 50 wins between Indy Lights and Indy Pro 2000 competition. The team’s most recent victory came in the second Indy Lights race at St. Petersburg this year with Rinus VeeKay behind the wheel.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter