In-season testing is so infrequent in the Verizon IndyCar Series as it is anyway, which makes every day you can get on track an important one.
But today’s one-day test at Sonoma Raceway carries an even greater magnitude, as teams testing today will all have two goals: prepare their cars as best as possible for the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, and see which of the Indy Lights drivers is a standout in terms of feedback, insights, pace and performance on the day.
The list of those testing is linked below:
• Andretti Autosport – Marco Andretti (Matthew Brabham)
• Chip Ganassi Racing Teams – Scott Dixon (Sean Rayhall)
• KVSH Racing – Sebastien Bourdais (Ryan Phinny)
• Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing – Graham Rahal (Ed Jones)
• Schmidt Peterson Motorsports – Ryan Briscoe (Jack Harvey)
• Team Penske – Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power (Spencer Pigot, Nelson Piquet Jr.)
In Andretti’s case, he’s coming off more than 500 miles of testing on Wednesday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval, doing Firestone tire testing as part of a six-car test at the hallowed grounds.
The drivers are excited – and amped up – for today’s test. Here’s a pre-test roundup of social reaction posts:
As you see, Pigot already has a one-day head start, albeit in a slightly different open-wheeler.
The only one of the regular season IndyCar drivers to post on Twitter thus far is, as you might expect, Graham Rahal. The Mid-Ohio winner, who now spends much more time in California than he used to with fiancee Courtney Force, is primed to ensure his Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing team delivers a good test day.
The other drivers either haven’t posted or have simply re-tweeted their team tweets.
We’ll have more to follow from Sonoma later today.