Resolution reached in Andretti lawsuit; Andretti Sports Marketing to be sold and renamed

4 Comments

The Andretti Sports Marketing vs. Andretti Autosport lawsuit has been settled, with Andretti Sports Marketing now sold to John Lopes and Starke Taylor, and set to be renamed.

Andretti Autosport released a statement on Wednesday that reads as follows:

The parties involved in the recent filing of Andretti Sports Marketing v. Andretti Autosport reached a resolution Tuesday. The parties came to a preliminary settlement agreement through the assistance of Mediator John R. Van Winkle. Although the terms and conditions are confidential, the mediator commented that all parties, including Michael Andretti, John Lopes and Starke Taylor, went to extraordinary lengths to keep their employees, fans and the racing community in mind. There will be no further litigation and this matter will be dismissed. As a result of this settlement, the parties have agreed that Andretti Sports Marketing will be sold to Mr. Lopes and Mr. Taylor and will be renamed.

With this dispute closed, the parties and their executives remain focused on their future businesses.

Lopes and Taylor, as Andretti Sports Marketing, filed a civil lawsuit last week in Marion County Superior Court (Ind.) against Andretti Autosport.

Michael Andretti had issued a statement that Lopes and Taylor were trying to benefit themselves at the expense of the Andretti name. That statement is below:

“This lawsuit is a disingenuous and self-serving attempt to benefit John Lopes and Starke Taylor at the expense of Andretti Autosport and its 120 employees. The allegations by Lopes and Taylor will not be supported by the evidence and we will aggressively respond with the truth.

“My family has strived to earn an exemplary reputation in all facets of our personal and professional lives. We will not allow this reckless attempt at grabbing leverage to impact our family name.”

Both companies continue on, with the Andretti Autosport side of the program having its next race this weekend at Pocono Raceway.

Helio Castroneves ‘hustling’ for IndyCar, IMSA rides; talking with four to five teams

Helio Castroneves IMSA IndyCar
IMSA
Leave a comment

As his season gathers steam, Helio Castroneves said his prospects for finding new rides for 2021 in IMSA and IndyCar also are gaining momentum.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner said Monday he is optimistic about landing in either or perhaps a combination of both series when Team Penske and Acura end their DPi partnership after this season.

“A lot of people I spoke with, four to five teams, are interested,” Castroneves said. “Whether it’s doing Indy 500 only, whether it’s pushing to do full time or do the sports cars as well. It’s been a very nice conversation.

LOOKING AHEADTeam Penske drivers seeking new rides for 2021

“I have a lot of respect for all the teams that have been talking, and I feel the same feedback. We just have to wait for their (sponsor) connections, and I’m also looking for some connections on my side as well, so hopefully we’ll be able to put this together and get something very soon.”

Given two decades of success with Penske in IndyCar and IMSA, Castroneves’ resume hardly needs burnishing. But the Brazilian has combined with co-driver Ricky Taylor in the No. 7 Acura DPi to win the past two overall victories at Road America and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

But Castroneves, who doesn’t have a manager, said he has been working the phones hard rather than wait for the strong results to bring in the calls.

“At this point, I feel like I’m the one who needs to be talking to them because people need to know I want to continue racing and understand my desire,” Castroneves, 45, said. “There is opportunity, no question, in both (IndyCar and IMSA), which I’m really happy about it. However, because of the COVID-19, a lot of things sometimes have to be a little delayed. But I’m excited. Whatever the opportunity and whatever destiny guides me, whether IndyCar or sports cars, trust me I’ll be as happy as it could be and doing my 100 percent like I always did.

“It’s like politics, you need to be out there, good news or bad news. People have to make notice of your presence. I’m hustling. I want to continue to keep it going. Hopefully, we’ll have good news very soon.”

The news has been all good lately on track for Castroneves and Taylor, who hope to continue their run Sunday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The No. 6 duo has surged to sixth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship standings, 10 points out of the lead with four races remaining. After thinking there was “no hope” to be competitive after opening the season with three consecutive poor finishes, Taylor now sees an opportunity for a happy ending.

“With the program going away, Helio has won all the big races and given so much back to the team and left such a mark, he’s really part of Penske history,” Taylor said. “For me, it’s been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of it. I’d like to leave my little mark as well. Helio has won everything except for a championship.

“Obviously, we’ve won races already together, but we can win a championship now. I think if both of us can do that together and both win our first championship for ‘The Captain,’ that would be an absolute dream come true, and we can tie a bow on it and be happy.”