Renault e.dams confirms Prost and Buemi for upcoming Formula E season

Leave a comment

Renault e.dams has confirmed that Nicolas Prost and Sebastien Buemi have been retained for the 2015/2016 FIA Formula E season.

e.dams won the inaugural Formula E teams’ title in London back in June, but was unable to follow up this success in the drivers’ championship as Buemi fell one point short of eventual winner Nelson Piquet Jr.

The French team looked likely to retain both of its season one drivers as both took part in all six days of pre-season testing, but has now officially confirmed that they will be kept on.

“Renault e.dams is delighted to announce Nicolas Prost and Sebastien Buemi as its official driver line-up for the 2015/16 FIA Formula E Championship campaign, which kicks off on October 17 in Beijing, China,” a statement from the team said.

“The current teams’ champion welcomed the pair back to the fold for official pre-season testing at Donington Park following an extremely successful inaugural campaign in the FIA’s all-electric championship.”

Buemi was pleased to be confirmed as a Renault e.dams driver for season two, believing that the team is in a good position following pre-season.

“I’m so happy that I’ll be working with the guys at Renault e.dams again because we all get on so well,” Buemi said. “The team is a little bigger than last year with Renault being on board but having a big manufacturer like that only strengthens the team.

“After our promising performance in testing things are looking good, but it’s too early to say what will happen during the season. Let’s see!”

Prost, who finished sixth in last year’s drivers’ championship, expressed his confidence in the team and the importance of continuity.

“I’m delighted to be remaining with Renault e.dams for this year’s FIA Formula E Championship,” Prost said.

“It’s important to stay in the same team for the sake of continuity. Everyone knows each other well and it’s much easier to work with the same guys and in the same environment.

“It’ll be exciting to see what we can achieve this year, especially with the new powertrain from Renault and a promising first run at Donington.”

Lewis Hamilton receives Daytona 500 invitation from Bubba Wallace

Lewis Hamilton Bubba Wallace
Rudy Carezzevoli/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton is a fan of the new NASCAR Cup Series team formed by Denny Hamlin and Michael Jordan to field a car for Bubba Wallace.

Will the six-time Formula One champion also be a fan in person at a NASCAR race in the near future?

Wallace is hoping so.

After Hamilton tweeted his support Tuesday morning about the news of a Hamlin-Jordan-Wallace team making its debut with the 2021 season, Wallace responded with a sly invitation to the Daytona 500.

Much would need to be worked out, starting with how much garage and grandstand access would be afforded for a 2021 season opener that likely would occur during a still ongoing novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

But it would seem fitting given that Hamilton and Wallace have been two of the world’s most outspoken Black athletes about the quest for diversity and racial justice. Hamilton recently reaffirmed his commitment to activism after his donning a Breonna Taylor shirt sparked an FIA inquiry.

The idea of Hamilton attending the season opener already had legs, too. The Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 driver has expressed a desire to race the Daytona 500 after he has retired from Formula One.

He was a spectator (with racing legend Mario Andretti) at four-time champion Jeff Gordon’s final Cup race as a full-time in the 2015 season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In 2011, Hamilton swapped cars with three-time champion Tony Stewart at Watkins Glen International.

Having rubbed shoulders with other racing greats so often, it only would be fitting if Hamilton — who is one victory from tying Michael Schumacher’s career record and also could tie the F1 record with a seventh championship this season — spent some time with the greatest basketball player of all time.

Jeff Gordon was flanked by Mario Andretti and Lewis Hamilton before the 2015 Cup season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway (Jared C. Tilton/NASCAR via Getty Images).