Hamilton unconcerned by issue on Rosberg’s new engine

Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton has no concerns with his updated power unit for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix despite seeing teammate Nico Rosberg be forced into a change following practice on Saturday.

Mercedes spent all seven of its remaining development tokens to upgrade its power unit ahead of the race weekend at Monza in a bid to increase its advantage over the chasing pack.

Hamilton put the extra power to good use during qualifying on Saturday as he surged to his seventh consecutive pole position.

However, an issue on Rosberg’s power unit forced Mercedes into switching back to the one he used for the Belgian Grand Prix two weeks ago, leaving him down on power compared to his teammate.

As a result, Rosberg could only qualify fourth, finishing behind the Ferrari duo of Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel in second and third place respectively.

Speaking after qualifying on Saturday, Hamilton said that although he did not know the cause of Rosberg’s issue, he had no fears about a similar problem occurring on his power unit.

“As far as I am aware, no,” Hamilton said. “But I don’t really know what was the issue.

“The guys in the garage have done an amazing job to change the engine in the short space of time that they have, and hopefully we can still bag some good points for the team tomorrow.”

Hamilton has swept the entire weekend so far, topping every single session during practice and qualifying at Monza.

The Briton expressed his pleasure with how the Mercedes W06 Hybrid car was working at Monza, even if he felt that his pole lap in Belgium two weeks ago was more impressive.

“The car’s been feeling good all weekend,” Hamilton said. “The engineers and mechanics have done a fantastic job on both sides of the garage.

“A big thanks to the guys back at the factory who have made improvements to the reliability engine and to bring that here is a good step for us.

“Just yeah, really happy. I don’t really know what to say. My Spa lap was better!”

The Italian Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 7:30am ET on Sunday.

Coyne signs Ferrucci for final two IndyCar races of 2018

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

Dale Coyne Racing will field a third entry at the Grand Prix of Portland and the INDYCAR Grand Prix of Sonoma for former Haas F1 test and reserve driver Santino Ferrucci, the team revealed earlier on Friday.

Ferrucci previously raced with Coyne at the Chevrolet Dual in Detroit, where he finished 22nd and 20th, and will drive alongside Sebastien Bourdais and Pietro Fittipaldi. The entry, the No. 39 Honda, will also feature sponsorship from Cly-Del, a Connecticut-based manufacturing company.

“I am extremely grateful to Dale (Coyne) and everyone at Dale Coyne Racing for giving me this opportunity to get back behind the wheel of an IndyCar in Portland and Sonoma,” said Ferrucci, who had been racing in FIA Formula 2 this year until it came to an unceremonious end in July.

Ferrucci continued, “I’m also excited to be bringing my long-time sponsor Cly-Del on board and introducing them to the world of IndyCar racing. I truly enjoyed my time with Dale Coyne Racing in Detroit earlier this season and I couldn’t be more excited to be back with them for a couple more races as I look to the future and enter the next chapter of my career.”

Team owner Dale Coyne highlighted the team’s experience with Ferrucci as a motivating factor in signing him up again for the final two races.

“We were very impressed with Santino at Detroit this year, and not just by his performance behind the wheel, but also by his professionalism and maturity outside of the race car,” said Coyne.

Coyne added, “We’ve had lengthy discussions with Santino in the past few months and we’re excited to have him back for the final two rounds of the season. We look forward to seeing what he will do with this opportunity as he gets back behind the wheel of an Indy Car. We’re also happy to welcome Cly-Del to our ever-growing family of sponsors.”

Follow@KyleMLavigne