NBCSports.com set for redesign; Motors interface to change

4 Comments

This is year three of MotorSportsTalk on NBCSports.com and for the first time we, along with the rest of the Talk sites under the NBCSports.com umbrella, are getting a facelift.

This morning, the fully redesigned NBCSports.com launched. What that will mean from a Motors content standpoint is that rather than the motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com URL, it will be a simpler nbcsports.com/motor-sports landing page, and everything can be found via http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/.

Video also plays a key role in the update to the site, with streams now available on every story.

The site should be more mobile-friendly and additionally, there will be sport-specific scoreboards. So when you’re looking for Formula 1 qualifying or race results, for example, they’ll be at the top of the page where news stories are currently situated.

Here’s the breakdown of what to expect, usability-wise, on the new site:

  • An adaptable, responsive layout for four different screen sizes (desktop, tablet portrait and landscape, and mobile devices) for an optimal experience for all devices.
  • Articles feature infinite scrolling and a “story explorer” feature that allows users to quickly browse content.
  • A scoreboard ticker with team- and sport-focused imagery, optimized across desktop and tablets.
  • NBC Sports Live Extra will be prominently featured within the new site experience, which incorporates a site-wide live streaming schedule, direct links, and a TV listings component with fixed scrolling position.
  • The most up-to-date player news including injury reports, transactions, and stats from Rotoworld, which will be accessible in a dedicated team/player news section and integrated throughout many sections across the site.

Otherwise, stay tuned for the same level of high quality motors content, news, analysis and features from the MotorSportsTalk staff.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.