© Getty Images

Red Bull happy to work with Ferrari; VW rumors reignite

3 Comments

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz would be happy for his Formula 1 team to use Ferrari engines next season as its relationship with Renault nears the end.

Red Bull Racing has failed to put up any kind of challenge to the front-running teams so far this year, claiming just two podium finishes from the opening 12 rounds of the season.

The majority of the team’s woes have stemmed from its Renault power unit, and have prompted Mateschitz and RBR advisor Helmut Marko to threaten to quit the sport altogether.

Reports in the paddock suggest that Red Bull has already decided to terminate its agreement with Renault for 2016, and is now looking for a new engine supplier.

Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn confirmed at the Frankfurt Motor Show earlier this week that the French marque would only be involved in F1 in 2016 if it has its own team, with a takeover of Lotus currently being negotiated.

“We will either exit or run our own team,” Ghosn said. “We are assessing in detail and still having talks.”

Over the Italian Grand Prix weekend, Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said that the team was open to supplying Red Bull with engines for 2016 after Mercedes had rejected a deal for fear of increased competition.

In an interview with Austrian broadcaster ORF, Red Bull owner Mateschitz said that he would happily accept Ferrari engines in the short-term future.

“That would be, for the next two or three years, a very acceptable solution,” Mateschitz said.

“If Ferrari as a work teams, and with [Sebastian] Vettel, cannot deliver [the championship] then it will not be possible for us as a customer.

“But we can get to the first three rows of the grid, and from there on to the podium.”

Beyond the next two to three years, speculation has reignited that Red Bull is looking to agree a deal with German giant Volkswagen that would see the manufacturer take over its F1 operation.

According to BBC F1 pundit and former team owner Eddie Jordan, “the fundamentals of a deal for the sale of the team have been agreed” between VW and Red Bull.

VW’s brands include Porsche and Audi, with the latter being the constant subject of speculation about a move into F1 in the future.

Last month, Audi motorsport boss Wolfgang Ullrich laughed off speculation when speaking to MotorSportsTalk, and suggested that an immediate entry into F1 would not be possible.

“This is a discussion I’ve lived with for 20 years, and we never did it,” Ullrich said. “So I would be surprised if we did it tomorrow.

“If somebody wants to go into Formula 1 and they think that they can do it from one to the next year, I think he shouldn’t try to do it.”

On the same day that the report from the BBC emerged, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced that VW could face a fine of $18 billion for using software intentionally designed to circumvent environmental standards on its cars.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.