Vettel: Singapore GP pole “unbelievable”

© Getty Images
5 Comments

Sebastian Vettel called his first pole position for Ferrari “unbelievable” after ending Mercedes’ 23-race streak in qualifying for the Singapore Grand Prix on Saturday night.

After dominating proceedings in the final practice session earlier in the day, Vettel continued his good form through all three stages of qualifying en route to his first pole since the 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix when he was racing for Red Bull.

Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg struggled to work with their tires throughout the session on Saturday, leaving them fifth and sixth on the grid and ending the team’s pole position streak one short of Williams’ record.

Speaking after the session, Vettel made no secret of his elation as he ended Ferrari’s three-year pole position drought.

“Unbelievable. I know it’s only Saturday and the main job is coming tomorrow, but I had to enjoy the moment when I heard that we made it,” Vettel said.

“It was looking pretty good from the outset of qualy, and actually from this morning to be fair. The car was fantastic to drive. It just got better through qualifying. I think we did get the maximum today and surprised by the margin but I think it just came together.

“I really had a near-perfect lap at the end, so I was very very happy with the laps I had today, and especially the last one. Around here it’s such a long, tricky lap and so easy to go in just a little bit too deep or a little bit too far, push it a little bit too much. It just seemed to come in the end.”

In spite of his success, Vettel refused to get ahead of himself, and believes that he will face a stiff challenge from Red Bull and Mercedes in the race on Sunday.

“Very happy, puts us in a great place for tomorrow, but as I said it’s only Saturday,” Vettel said. “The main job is coming tomorrow.

“I’m sure the Mercedes will be quick tomorrow, and the Red Bulls of course. Tough job tomorrow to do.”

The Singapore Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 7:30am ET on Sunday.

Kyle Busch interests McLaren for Indy 500, but team is leaning toward experience

McLaren Indy Kyle Busch
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
1 Comment

With Arrow McLaren SP heavily weighing a fourth car for the Indy 500 next year, Kyle Busch is a candidate but not at the top of the IndyCar team’s list.

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown addressed the possibility Wednesday morning during a video news conference with Gavin Ward, the team’s newly named racing director.

“I have not personally spoken with Kyle Busch, but you can read into that that someone else in our organization has,” Brown said. “We want to make sure if we run a fourth car, we’re in the mindset that we want someone that is experienced around the 500. It’s such an important race, and from a going for the championship point of view, we’ve got three drivers that we want to have finish as strong as possible, so if we ran a fourth car, we’d want to be additive, not only for the fourth car itself, but to the three cars and so bringing in someone who’s not done it before potentially doesn’t add that value from an experience point of view.”

Busch will race the No. 8 Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing next season in NASCAR under a new deal that will allow the two-time Cup Series champion to make his Indy 500 debut. Busch, who had a previous deal to run the Indy 500 nixed by Joe Gibbs Racing, openly courted Chevy IndyCar teams to contact him during his introductory news conference with RCR last month.

After Team Penske (which has given no indications of a fourth car at Indy alongside champion Will Power, Josef Newgarden and Scott McLaughlin), McLaren is the second-best Chevy organization, and it’s fielded an extra Indy 500 car the past two years for Juan Pablo Montoya. The Associated Press reported last month that McLaren was in “serious conversation” about running Busch at Indy with Menards sponsorship.

But with its restructured management, the team is in the midst of significant expansion for 2023. AMSP is adding a third full-time car for 2016 Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi to team with Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist, and a massive new shop also is being built in the Indianapolis area.

“(It’s) not because of him but purely because of experience,” Brown said of Busch. “He’s an awesome talent and would be huge, huge news for the speedway. But yeah, I think everyone is under consideration if we decide to do it, but experience is right at the top of the list as far as what’s going to be the most important to us.”

And it seems likely there will be a veteran joining Rossi, O’Ward and Rosenqvist at the Brickyard.

“A fourth car at the 500 is very much under consideration,” Brown said. “I wouldn’t even want to get ahead of ourselves, but we wouldn’t be ruling out a fourth car in the future on a full-time basis. That definitely wouldn’t be for ’23. But as we expand the team and get into larger facilities and things of that nature, it’s something that Gavin and I have spoken about.

“I think we would be in a position to run a fourth car at the 500 this upcoming year. If we do decide to do that, we’ll make that decision soon for maximum preparation, and I would say we’re open minded to a fourth car in ’24 and beyond and probably will make that decision middle of next year in time to be prepared if we did decide to do that.”

Brown also addressed the future of Alex Palou, who will be racing for Chip Ganassi Racing next season after also signing a deal with McLaren. Though Brown declined to get into specifics about whether Palou had signed a new deal, he confirmed Palou will continue to test “our Formula One car from time to time.

“Everyone has reached an amicable solution,” Brown said. “We’ve now had Alex in our Formula One car as we have Pato. That will continue in the future, which we’re quite excited about. At this point we’re laser-focused on 2023 and glad to have the noise behind us and now just want to put our head down and get on with the job with the three drivers we have.”