© Getty Images

Button still in “good talks” with McLaren about 2016

Leave a comment

Jenson Button remains engaged in “good talks” with McLaren about his future in Formula 1 despite being reported to be on the verge of announcing his retirement from the sport.

A report from The Daily Telegraph earlier this week claimed that Button was poised to announce that he would be leaving McLaren and F1 at the end of 2015 ahead of this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.

When the Briton was placed in Thursday’s FIA press conference, it was predicted that an announcement may be made in the hours leading up to this before he faced the media.

However, when asked about his plans for 2016 and any updates on his future, Button remained coy, saying that a decision was still to be made.

“I can’t give you anything else,” Button said. “Since the last race there’s no more information to give you.

“You’re going to have to wait for a little while I’m sorry to say but we’re in good talks, the team and myself so, that’s it.

“There’s so many possibilities of what could happen next year. So many possibilities but I’ve got nothing else for you, I’m sorry to say.

“I’ll be happy next year. That’s the important thing.”

Button admitted that he did not get the same joy out of racing in F1 as he used to given McLaren’s recent struggles, which have restricted him to just six points from 13 races so far this season.

“I don’t think any driver has joy when they’re not fighting for victories,” Button said. “That’s what we’re here to do. That’s what we love. It’s the challenge of fighting at the front and the possibility of fighting at the front.

“So, no. I don’t like finishing 14th. I don’t like finishing tenth. That’s not what gives me joy, that’s not what excites me.

“But there are so many other things that, if they work in your favour, or if you see a future, there’s the possibility of joy coming back and that’s exciting. That’s a challenge.”

WATCH LIVE: IndyCar Carb Day coverage on NBCSN

Leave a comment

It’s Carb Day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And that means hours of coverage for IndyCar fans, just days away from the 103rd running of the Indianapolis 500.

Coverage on NBCSN will include the Indy Lights Firestone 100 at 1 p.m. ET, a live edition of NASCAR America from Indianapolis Motor Speedway at 3:30 p.m. ET with Krista Voda, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Steve Letarte, A.J. Allmendinger and Marty Snider, and new Indy-centric episodes of Proving Grounds and Off The Grid. Jake Query will call the Indy Lights Firestone 100 alongside analyst Anders Krohn and pit reporter Katie Hargitt.

Click here to watch online or on the NBC Sports app.

All this leads up to Sunday’s race (11 am ET on NBC), but don’t forget about Saturday’s Indy 500 parade coverage, which you can watch on NBC Sports Gold.