Alonso reaffirms commitment to McLaren in F1

© Getty Images
0 Comments

Fernando Alonso took to Twitter to respond to speculation about his future with McLaren following an outburst during Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix.

Alonso joined McLaren at the beginning of 2015, but has failed to enjoy the kind of success that he had hoped for thanks to the problematic Honda power unit, which has blighted the team’s fortunes.

In Japan, Alonso twice took to the radio to criticize the power unit, saying it was “embarrassing” that he was being passed by backmarkers and comparing it to the engines used in F1’s feeder series, GP2.

After the race, the Spaniard was coy with the media when asked about his future in F1. This followed comments from his former manager, Flavio Briatore, earlier this week that suggested Alonso could quit McLaren if the team’s situation does not improve soon.

Writing on Twitter after the race, Alonso made clear that he is not looking to leave McLaren, saying that he remains committed to his three-year contract before once again saying that he plans to finish his F1 career with the British team.

Alonso’s last spell with McLaren ended after just one season in 2007 following a falling out with the team, whilst his exit from Ferrari last year was also far from peaceful.

This prompted many to question whether his second spell with McLaren might go the same way, but for the time being, it appears that the Spaniard remains committed to the Honda project.

Malcolm Stewart sidelined by knee surgery for ‘extended duration’

0 Comments

The knee injury that kept Malcolm Stewart from mounting up for Anaheim 2 will require surgery and he will be sidelined for “an extended duration” of the Monster Energy Supercross season, according to the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna team.

“I just wanted to give you guys an update,” Stewart said on Instagram. “It’s not the news you guys want to hear, but I took a spill last week and hurt my knee pretty bad to the point that we’re going to have to get surgery done.

“I’m definitely bummed out about it; I felt we were riding pretty good and were just now starting to get the ball rolling, but it is what it is.”

Stewart’s season started with high expectations until accidents in the first two rounds left him 15th in the standings.

He ended 2022 on a high note, finishing a career high third in the Supercross standings. He then missed the start of the Pro Motocross season with another knee injury.

The 2023 season appeared to live up to his expectations. Despite back-to-back accidents, Stewart contended for podiums at both Anaheim 1 and San Diego. He won his heat at San Diego.

“It was very tough to receive the news that Malcolm will need to undergo knee surgery,” Nathan Ramsey, Team Manager for the Husqvarna team said in a press release. “He has worked so hard to be in a position to win races this year and I truly believe he was ready.

“The Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing program will support him in every way that we can through his recovery and we can’t wait to get him back on track and back at the races.”

Stewart joins 250 rider Jalek Swoll on the sidelines after he broke an arm in a practice session. Swoll will be relieved by Talon Hawkins beginning this week at Houston, Texas.

A replacement rider has not been announced for Stewart, which means the focus shifts to his 450 teammate Christian Craig, who currently sits 12th in the standings with three top-15s in the opening rounds.