© Getty Images

Red Bull open to Renault engine u-turn for 2016

2 Comments

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has admitted that the crisis-hit squad is “open to everything” with regards to an engine supply for 2016, including a return to current partners Renault.

A lack of performance has seen Red Bull’s relationship with Renault sour dramatically over the past two years, with blame lying at the feet of the French manufacturer for the quality of its power units.

The struggles have culminated in the two parties agreeing to cut ties at the end of the season, one year before their contract expires.

Advisor Helmut Marko has vowed that unless Red Bull has a competitive engine in 2016, it will quit the sport along with B-team Scuderia Toro Rosso, appearing to force Ferrari into complying with its wishes and supplying the team.

However, with paddock speculation suggesting that a deal with Ferrari is no longer possible, Red Bull is now faced with going back to Renault and trying to revive its relationship to ensure its teams remain on the grid in 2016.

As quoted by Associated Press, when asked on Friday if an engine deal with Renault in 2016 was possible, Horner said: “Everything is open.”

According to former F1 driver Martin Brundle, this could even encompass Horner taking over the Red Bull operation himself, potentially under the guise of Arden, his junior racing team.

Horner spent a great deal of time with F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone on Friday in Sochi, prompting the latter to say that “everything’s sorted out now” for Red Bull’s engine supply in 2016.

For the time being though, Red Bull’s future remains as uncertain as ever, but answers must be due in the coming weeks to ensure that both of its teams are on the grid next season.

Red Bull driver Verstappen wins Formula One’s Brazilian GP

NELSON ALMEIDA/AFP via Getty Images
2 Comments

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won Formula One’s Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday for his eighth career victory in a race which ended disastrously for both Ferrari drivers.

Verstappen controlled nearly all the race at Interlagos, which saw a dramatic late collision between Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc when they fought for the fourth position. Both failed to finish.

Toro Rosso’s Pierre Gasly got his first F1 podium after finishing second ahead of six-time F1 champion Lewis Hamilton. The Mercedes driver was third but faces an investigation after an incident that caused Red Bull’s Alexander Albon to spin.

Hamilton, who won at Interlagos in 2018, said Verstappen was “just quicker than us on the straights” and “there was nothing more we could do.”

Dutch driver Verstappen said “Lewis was very quick so I had to keep pushing… we had two good moves with him, and from there onward I could control the race.”

McLaren’s Carlos Sainz was fourth, and could be promoted to third if Hamilton is punished.

The Brazilian GP on Sunday was the penultimate race of the season, with only Abu Dhabi left on Dec.1.

Hamilton had already secured the season title in the previous race in the United States. His Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas, who did not finish the race, had also secured the runner-up spot.