Force India owner Vijay Mallya has confirmed that he is in talks over a possible rebrand of the team for the 2016 Formula 1 season following reports of a link-up with British marque Aston Martin.
On Friday, Autosport published a report claiming that Aston Martin was close to striking a deal with Force India that would see its name return to F1 for the first time since 1960.
The report said that the team would change name and livery for 2016, tying in a sponsorship agreement with whisky brand Johnnie Walker. It would continue to be powered by Mercedes, with the German manufacturer owning a 5% stake in Aston Martin.
In Friday’s FIA press conference, Mallya confirmed that Force India was in talks over a rebrand for 2016, but that there were many options and nothing had been finalized.
“We are in discussion,” Mallya confirmed. “Nothing has been finalized, we have many options and I’ll be able to confirm or otherwise once I have something to say.
“As I’ve said, and as was faithfully reported by Autosport, I don’t like to count my chickens before they hatch.”
This weekend’s Mexican Grand Prix is an important one for Force India given the popularity of home driver Sergio Perez and the team’s ties with a number of Mexican sponsors.
“We are absolutely enjoying being here in Mexico,” Mallya said. “As you may know we launched the car in Mexico in January this year.
“Checo has a huge following, we have many large Mexican sponsors and I personally love Mexico because there are many similarities with India, so this is like a home race for us as well.”