AP

Marco Andretti set to extend with Andretti Autosport for 2016

1 Comment

Formal confirmation is forthcoming, but MotorSportsTalk has learned that Marco Andretti has committed to a one-year extension with Andretti Autosport for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Andretti, still only 28, has been part of Andretti Autosport’s IndyCar lineup since 2006. He’ll be alongside Ryan Hunter-Reay and Carlos Munoz, the latter of whom was confirmed just on Tuesday, next season.

“I did a one-year. Yep,” Andretti told NASCAR Talk‘s Nate Ryan at last weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series penultimate race of the season at Phoenix International Raceway.

“Right now that’s where the Dr Pepper contract ends. They can’t sign me (longer) with anything on the table.”

Andretti, who has only raced for his father Michael’s team in IndyCar since coming in as a rookie, wouldn’t rule out a potential move elsewhere down the road.

“Yeah. It’s business. How my dad and I look at it. (But) I’m happy where I’m at,” Marco Andretti told Ryan.

“Wish I had more race wins, for sure. But we had the best qualifying and race averages of the team last year. We need to win races. That’s been hindering me for sure. We have a good shot at the 100th (Indianapolis 500), and the championship, and he’s one of the top three teams, I don’t see why I should be upset.”

Zach Veach splits with Andretti Autosport for rest of IndyCar season

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
1 Comment

Zach Veach will be leaving his Andretti Autosport ride with three races remaining in the season, choosing to explore options after the decision was made he wouldn’t return for 2021.

In a Wednesday release, Andretti Autosport said a replacement driver for the No. 26 Dallara-Honda would be named in the coming days. The NTT IndyCar Series will race Oct. 2-3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and then conclude the season Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

Veach was ranked 11th in the points standings through 11 races of his third season with Andretti. Since a fourth in the June 6 season opener at Texas Motor Speedway, he hadn’t finished higher than 14th.

“The decision was made that I will not be returning in 2021 with Andretti Autosport in the No. 26 Gainbridge car,” Veach said in the Andretti release. “This, along with knowing that limited testing exists for teams due to COVID, have led me to the decision to step out of the car for the remainder of the 2020 IndyCar season. I am doing this to allow the team to have time with other drivers as they prepare for 2021, and so that I can also explore my own 2021 options.

“This is the hardest decision I have ever made, but to me, racing is about family, and it is my belief that you take care of your family. Andretti Autosport is my family and I feel this is what is best to help us all reach the next step. I will forever be grateful to Michael and the team for all of their support over the years. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for a relationship that started many years ago with Road to Indy. I will also be forever grateful to Dan Towriss for his friendship and for the opportunity he and Gainbridge have given me.

“My love for this sport and the people involved is unmeasurable, and I look forward to continuing to be amongst the racing world and fans in 2021.”

Said team owner Michael Andretti: “We first welcomed Zach to the Andretti team back in his USF2000 days and have enjoyed watching him grow and evolve as a racer, and a person. His decision to allow us to use the last few races to explore our 2021 options shows the measure of his character.

“Zach has always placed team and family first, and we’re very happy to have had him as part of ours for so many years. We wish him the best in whatever 2021 may bring and will always consider him a friend.”

Andretti fields five full-time cars for Veach, Alexander Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti and Colton Herta.

It also has fielded James Hinchcliffe in three races this season.