© Getty Images

Minardi: Renault keen to re-sign Alonso from McLaren

2 Comments

Former Formula 1 team owner Gian Carlo Minardi believes that Renault is already working to re-sign Fernando Alonso following its decision to return to the series as a constructor for 2016.

Renault confirmed earlier this month that it had gone ahead with its planned takeover of Lotus F1 Team, marking the revival of its works operation that last raced back in 2010.

Alonso enjoyed his greatest successes in F1 with Renault, taking his first pole position and first race win with the team in 2003 before winning the world championship in 2005 and 2006.

After a tenuous season with McLaren in 2007, Alonso returned to Renault for two seasons before moving to Ferrari at the end of 2009.

Still stranded on two world titles, Alonso endured his worst season in F1 since 2001 with McLaren in 2015 as the team encountered a myriad of problems with its new Honda power unit.

Writing on his website, minardi.it, Minardi said that he believes Renault boss Carlos Ghosn is already working to bring Alonso back for a third stint with the French manufacturer.

“With the purchase of Lotus and their return as a constructor, [Renault] have all the interest to reinforce each of their departments,” Minardi said.

“They are looking for human resources, technicians, and drivers. President Carlos Ghosn is working to tear Fernando Alonso away from Honda.”

Alonso remains locked into a McLaren contract until the end of 2018 that team CEO Ron Dennis has stressed includes no exit clauses that would allow him to leave early.

In a wide-ranging end of year post, Minardi also hit out at the spiralling costs in F1, believing that the high engine tariffs only hurt smaller teams such as the one he ran between 1985 and 2001.

“Spending over €400 million and having a team of 1,000 people to build two cars is absurd,” Minardi said.

“Like it is crazy paying €25 million for the power unit. Only a few years ago, engines price was €5-6 million. Today, €20 million is the difference and it is difficult to find in this market.”

Conor Daly honors friend killed Saturday amid Indianapolis unrest

Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

IndyCar driver Conor Daly posted a poignant tribute to Chris Beaty, a former Indiana University football player and Indianapolis business owner who was killed Saturday amid protests and rioting in the city.

Daly said he got to know Beaty, who owned an event and marketing promotions company, five years ago when he was organizing Indianapolis 500 afterparties.

Daly annually had been involved in Beaty’s parties since then and said Beaty helped get him home earlier this year when Daly’s blood sugar crashed while at an event.

TAKING A STAND: Lewis Hamilton speaks out on racial strife

“The world lost a tremendous person. RIP Chris Beaty,” wrote Daly, who also tweeted “The violence has to stop.”

According to the Indianapolis Star, Beaty died after suffering multiple gunshot wounds during Saturday night’s unrest in downtown Indianapolis. It’s unclear if the shooting was tied to the protests.

Graham Rahal also posted about his interaction with Beaty.

Daly, Rahal and the rest of the IndyCar Series will return to action Saturday night at Texas Motor Speedway (8 p.m. ET, NBC).