© AP

Formula E planning power increases for season four and five

2 Comments

Formula E has confirmed that it is planning to increase the power of its cars in both season four (2017-2018) and season five (2018-2019)

After initially planning to raise the maximum power output from the original level of 200kW beginning from season two, the decision has been taken to postpone any changes until season four at the earliest.

For season four, the power available to drivers will rise from 200kW to 220kW before increasing again to 250kW for season five, marking a 25% jump from the current level.

“Although there is scope within the technical regulations for battery power to be raised to 250kW next season, as outlined in the original technical road map, after careful analysis of the performance of the batteries and the cost of developing this technology, the decision was made to phase in the power increase more gradually,” a statement from Formula E read.

“Two changes that are coming online for season three are raising the permitted amount of regeneration to 150kW from its current level of 100kW, and reducing the weight of the car from the current 888kg to 880kg.”

In other Formula E news, tickets for the Long Beach ePrix have now gone on sale. Scheduled for April 2, the race will be held on a shortened version of the course used for the IndyCar race.

Tickets are available from the official Formula E website and start at $25.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.