© AP

MotoGP: Czech GP’s future secured with new five-year contract

Leave a comment

The future of the Czech Republic Grand Prix has been secured after MotoGP commercial rights holder Dorna signed a new five-year deal with the Brno Circuit earlier this week.

Brno has a long-running history with the premier class of motorcycle racing, hosting more grands prix than all but one circuit – Assen in the Netherlands – but faced an uncertain future due to concerns about the promotion of the race.

In August, Dorna announced that it had struck a new agreement with Brno that provisionally secured the future of the race, but the deal was only signed earlier this week.

Key to the new agreement has been the formation of The Czech Grand Prix Association that will take over the promotion of the race from 2016.

“The signing of this agreement is one of the most important acts as far as the World Championship of Motorcycle Road Racing is concerned,” Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta said.

“It is very important for our company, which arranges those races, that the Brno Circuit is a part of the championship for the following years. This agreement deals with all the unresolved questions about the holding of races in the past.”

Mayor of Brno Petr Vokral was pleased to confirm that the Czech GP would remain in the city until 2020 following the completion of negotiations.

“A year ago, not only was it hazy outside but the future arrangement of grand prix was hazy as well. I am glad that we have found a way to arrange MotoGP in Brno,” Vokral said.

“The breakpoint was the last year’s agreement to establish the Association, which would have public support.

“I would also like to thank Mr. Ezpeleta for his extraordinary patience, which enabled the conclusion of the agreement. Now, it guarantees that Moto GP will be held in Brno for next five years.”

Andretti United team names drivers for inaugural Extreme E season

Extreme E drivers Andretti
Extreme E
Leave a comment

The Extreme E team formed by Andretti Autosport and United Autosports named Catie Munnings and Timmy Hansen as its drivers Monday for the series’ inaugural 2021 season.

Munnings is a successful veteran of rally series. Hansen is a past winner and champion in the World Rallycross Championship.

They both will race in the environmentally conscious electric SUV series that will hold events in five areas around the world that are threatened by climate change. Chip Ganassi Racing and six-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton also are fielding cars in Extreme E, which will feature male and female co-drivers on every team.

Catie Munnings

“I’m so excited to join Andretti United Extreme E,” Munnings said in a release. ““I was really intrigued when I first heard about Extreme E, I just knew I had to be involved. The male / female racing partnership is a fantastic and exciting new concept. The season has incredible locations and the racing will be very exciting. It will be a new challenge for the teams and drivers, and I’m so thrilled to be working with such a strong team.

“The championship is a really innovative concept, it’s combining motorsport and science and will produce an important legacy in each race location. Bringing the platform that motorsport has in line with the awareness that the planet needs right now is awesome and a really important message.”

Timmy Hansen

Said Hansen: “Going into the Extreme E will be a new chapter in my career, one that I am extremely excited about. It is something brand new, not only for me, but the whole of motorsport. The format is something

we’ve never seen before. I’m also delighted to be able to carry the message of something bigger – talking about the environment and doing something good for the world – that’s something that really drives me. It’s going to be a big adventure in life to see these locations and I’m going to do my best in carrying this responsibility and hopefully making people aware of the challenges we have in the world, together with our passion for racing.”