© Getty Images

Luca di Montezemolo expected more thanks from Ferrari

1 Comment

Former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo expected a greater show of thanks from the Italian marque following its successful floatation on the New York Stock Exchange.

After 23 years at the helm of Ferrari, Montezemolo confirmed in September 2014 that he would be resigning at the end of the year, making way for Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne.

Scuderia Ferrari has since enjoyed a revival in Formula 1 under the stewardship of Marchionne and team principal Maurizio Arrivabene, and is expected to challenge for both championships in 2016.

Although Montezemolo remains busy as chairman of Italian airline Alitalia and heading up Rome’s bid for the 2024 Olympic Games, he still feels that Ferrari should have thanked him for his efforts.

“When Ferrari went public [in October 2015], of the results they presented, 23 of 24 years were down to me and my people,” Montezemolo told the Financial Times.

“So the least I expected from the owners was an official thank you. I didn’t expect a present because the value [an initial $9.8bn] was unbelievable, but at least a thanks.”

Regarding Rome’s bid for the Olympic Games, Montezemolo believes that it will offer the city a chance to regenerate and modernize in the coming years.

“Without a major challenge, without a goal, without competition it will be extremely difficult to give a push to this town,” Montezemolo said.

However, he believes that staging the Olympics in Rome will be an incredible sight and plans to incorporate all of the city’s historic landmarks.

“Can you imagine the marathon beginning inside the Vatican, passing a mosque and synagogue, with the finish line under the Arch of Constantine, where the Romans celebrated their victories?” Montezemolo said.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.