Pastor Maldonado not giving up on F1 return in 2017

© Getty Images
0 Comments

Pastor Maldonado remains hopeful of returning to Formula 1 in 2017 despite losing his seat with Renault for the coming season, according to manager Nicolas Todt.

Maldonado confirmed earlier this week that he would not be racing in F1 this year after negotiations between backers PDVSA and Renault collapsed.

The Venezuelan driver has been replaced by Kevin Magnussen for the coming season, as unveiled by Renault on Wednesday at an event in France.

However, Maldonado remains hopeful of returning to F1 in the future, with Todt already setting his sights on a place on the grid in 2017.

“We haven’t given up on F1 and we will be working to find a way back hopefully next year,” Todt told motorsport.com.

“As for this season, it is too early to say what he will be doing.”

Todt said that Maldonado would not be vying for the last two remaining seats on the F1 grid at Manor, believing that it would not be logical for his driver.

“Manor really is not an option,” Todt said.

“After five years with Williams and Lotus, with all due respect to the Manor, it does not make sense for the Pastor.”