BUENOS AIRES – Jean-Eric Vergne will now take part in Saturday’s Buenos Aires ePrix despite coming down with food poisoning overnight.
Vergne had been due to enter his first race of 2016 at the Puerto Madero street circuit on Saturday with DS Virgin Racing, and completed shakedown on Friday as usual.
However, the Frenchman came down with food poisoning overnight, prompting the team to rule him out of racing in the weekend.
DS virgin Racing told MotorSportsTalk that Vergne had not travelled to the track and was on a drip as a result of the food poisoning, but remained keen to race.
Team principal Alex Tai took the decision to stop Vergne from racing, believing that the extreme heat in Buenos Aires would only worsen his condition.
However, after Vergne rested during FP1 and FP2, and was declared fit by the FIA after a medical assessment, Tai was happy for him to race.
“He’s promised me he’ll take it easy,” Tai said. “Whether that’ll happen or not, I don’t know.”