Arrivabene sets sights on F1 championship for Ferrari in 2016

© Getty Images
1 Comment

Scuderia Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene has set the Italian marque the target of winning both Formula 1 championships in 2016 following the launch of its new car, the SF16-H.

Ferrari unveiled its 2016 challenger on Friday featuring a revise nose design and a repackaged rear of the car, as well as a retro livery harking back to the white airbox design used in the 1970s and 1980s.

After making significant progress across the course of 2015 and winning three grands prix, Arrivabene has now set Ferrari the target of battling for both titles in 2016 with the new car.

“Normally I don’t set the objective, it is my boss. Last year it was three victories and we got it,” Arrivabene said.

“This year we need to push a bit more, so it is going to be the championship – at least we would like to fight until the end. It won’t be easy, our competitors won’t be sleeping, but for sure we are all committed to do our best.

“We don’t go to the races with a big statement, but we do with a big commitment. Humility is our driver, our passion, our commitment.”

Technical director James Allison hopes that Ferrari has made enough progress in all areas to challenge pace-setters Mercedes in 2016, saying that no stone has been left unturned in the bid to improve on last year’s SF15-T.

“Back in 2013 we were not at the right level – not enough power, downforce, kinematics. We have worked very hard on all those areas,” Allison said.

“Last year was a decent step forward, and we hope this car gives us another good step forward and makes us truly competitive. It isn’t down to one area: we have improved across the board. All our hopes are in this car.”

Malcolm Stewart sidelined by knee surgery for ‘extended duration’

0 Comments

The knee injury that kept Malcolm Stewart from mounting up for Anaheim 2 will require surgery and he will be sidelined for “an extended duration” of the Monster Energy Supercross season, according to the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna team.

“I just wanted to give you guys an update,” Stewart said on Instagram. “It’s not the news you guys want to hear, but I took a spill last week and hurt my knee pretty bad to the point that we’re going to have to get surgery done.

“I’m definitely bummed out about it; I felt we were riding pretty good and were just now starting to get the ball rolling, but it is what it is.”

Stewart’s season started with high expectations until accidents in the first two rounds left him 15th in the standings.

He ended 2022 on a high note, finishing a career high third in the Supercross standings. He then missed the start of the Pro Motocross season with another knee injury.

The 2023 season appeared to live up to his expectations. Despite back-to-back accidents, Stewart contended for podiums at both Anaheim 1 and San Diego. He won his heat at San Diego.

“It was very tough to receive the news that Malcolm will need to undergo knee surgery,” Nathan Ramsey, Team Manager for the Husqvarna team said in a press release. “He has worked so hard to be in a position to win races this year and I truly believe he was ready.

“The Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing program will support him in every way that we can through his recovery and we can’t wait to get him back on track and back at the races.”

Stewart joins 250 rider Jalek Swoll on the sidelines after he broke an arm in a practice session. Swoll will be relieved by Talon Hawkins beginning this week at Houston, Texas.

A replacement rider has not been announced for Stewart, which means the focus shifts to his 450 teammate Christian Craig, who currently sits 12th in the standings with three top-15s in the opening rounds.