Defending MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo hopes to sign a new contract with Yamaha before the opening race of the 2016 season in Qatar on March 20.
Lorenzo won his third MotoGP championship last year after beating teammate Valentino Rossi in a season-long battle that ended in controversial circumstances in Valencia last November.
Both riders are out of contract at the end of 2016, but Lorenzo hopes that he can get his future resolved sooner rather than later.
“I want to renew my contract before the start of the season, but if not I’ll just keep quiet and trust in myself,” Lorenzo told Movistar.
“If we can not find an agreement, we will have to wait until Mugello or even Brno, just like other years.”
Lorenzo made his MotoGP debut with Yamaha back in 2008, and would like to see out the remainder of his MotoGP with the Japanese manufacturer if possible.
“My goal remains to retire with Yamaha without changing teams and try to match the four titles Valentino has, or even surpass that,” Lorenzo said.
“But it’s true, renewing before the start of the world championship would take away some pressure and anxiety you as a rider may have when not knowing what the future holds.”