© Red Bull Racing

Red Bull releases first pictures of 2016 RB12 F1 car

Leave a comment

After launching its new livery at an event in London last week, Red Bull has now released the first official pictures of its car for the 2016 Formula 1 season, the RB12.

The new matte livery design was premiered on last year’s car, the RB11, with the first studio shots of the new car coming out on Monday morning ahead of the start of testing in Barcelona.

Red Bull enters 2016 keen to bounce back from a difficult 2015 campaign that yielded just three podium finishes as the team was blighted by issues with its Renault power unit.

However, all at Milton Keynes are now focusing on continuing the upturn in form towards the end of last year, with team principal Christian Horner hopeful that genuine progress can be made.

“Obviously the late engine decision last year was a challenge but we found a solution in time and the whole team has worked incredibly hard to recover over the winter,” Horner said.

“Therefore, we’re looking to build on the significant progress we made in the second half of 2015 and to carry that momentum into the early races of this season.

“My hopes for this season are that we genuinely make progress from where we were last year; that we get our heads down and we really develop the car well and hopefully with some performance coming on the power unit side as well, that will allow us to get closer to some of our immediate rivals.”

Chief technical officer Adrian Newey is confident that Red Bull has a strong chassis for the 2016 season, having built on the previous design due to the relatively stable technical regulations.

“I’m often asked what area of the car I’m most pleased with, but with the stable regulations we have at the moment it’s difficult to find any major new areas to exploit,” Newey said.

“Therefore, what we’ve really tried to concentrate on with this car is getting a cohesive package for all the parts – the suspension, the chassis dynamics, aerodynamics – that they all work together in harmony.

“I think we’ve managed to build on the lessons of last year and all the indications from our simulations suggest that this year’s chassis should be strong.”

Robert Wickens shares more positive strides toward recovery in new video

Joe Skibinski/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Robert Wickens has made massive steps since sustaining a spinal cord injury in an Aug. 19, 2018 crash at Pocono Raceway.

Since the accident, Wickens publicly has shared his recovery, often uploading videos of his physical rehabilitation on Twitter.

In his most recent update on Wednesday, Wickens shared a video of him walking on a treadmill. Fellow NTT IndyCar Series competitor Tony Kannan, who competes in triathlons during his spare time, also was visible running on the treadmill behind Wickens.

“When I am @TonyKannan [sic] age, I hope to run as fast as him…” Wickens tweeted. “Today was a good day!”

Wickens, who will turn 31 on March 13, first made his return to the IndyCar paddock in last year’s season opener in St. Petersburg. Since then, he’s made a return to the driver’s seat, piloting a specialized Acura NSX prior to the start of last year’s IndyCar race in his hometown of Toronto.

In September, Wickens fulfilled a vow to his wife Karli, by standing with her during their wedding. The new husband and wife also danced together during their reception.

Should Wickens fully recover to resume racing, Arrow McLaren SP co-owner Sam Schmidt has stated that the team’s No. 6 entry will be available for him to drive. Wickens continues to remain as a “driver coach and consultant” for the team.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter