Fernando Alonso dismisses latest round of F1 quit rumors

© Getty Images
1 Comment

Fernando Alonso has dismissed the latest round of rumors suggesting that he could be set to quit McLaren and Formula 1 should its new car fail to be competitive.

Alonso returned to McLaren for 2015 after spending five seasons with Ferrari, but was left frustrated as issues with the Honda power unit limited the Spaniard to just two points finishes.

Despite venting his frustrating on a number of occasions, Alonso insisted that he would see out his three-year contract with the team, believing that the situation would improve with time.

Speaking to the media on Tuesday after completing 119 laps behind the wheel of the MP4-31, Alonso said that he was surprised by the latest round of rumors before once again dismissing them.

“I’m surprised, all week [there] have been some rumors,” Alonso said.

“When there are too many weeks or too many months with no action on the track, there is a dangerous tendency to be creative in the news.

“It’s good now we’re on track, and hopefully there are no rumours.”

When asked if he would see out the season, Alonso said: “Of course, and next year.”

Alonso last won a world championship back in 2006 with Renault, and despite being a contender for the title on three occasions since then, he is yet to add to his tally.

Supercross: Husqvarna’s Jalek Swoll and Malcolm Stewart out with injury

Swoll Stewart injury
Feld Motor Sports/MX Sports Pro Racing/Align Media
0 Comments

Jalek Swoll and Rockstar Energy Husqvarna teammate Malcolm Stewart sustained injury in separate crashes late last week. Stewart missed Anaheim 2 and Swoll will not mount up for the 250 East season opener in Houston on February 4.

“Spent all of yesterday in the ER and today getting surgery so haven’t been able to make an update post,” Swoll posted on Instagram. “Spiral fractured my humorous yesterday and was lucky enough to get into surgery today. Absolutely heartbroken that I couldn’t show all the hard work me, [Mike Brown], [Aldon Baker], and [Joel Perez] were working on truly felt like this year was going to a big one with massive improvements we made but I guess it just wasn’t my time.”

The team announced on Instagram that Swoll underwent successful surgery to repair a broken bone in his arm, sustained in a practice crash on Friday. After missing the division opener, no further timeline has been given for his return.

Swoll made eight starts in the 250 West division last season with a best finish of fifth. In 2021, he scored his first SuperMotocross win in the outdoor Pro Motocross season at High Point Raceway in Mount Morris, Pennsylvania.

Stewart missed Anaheim 2 due to a practice injury. Likewise, the team did not announce a timetable for Stewart’s return.

He showed a lot of speed in the first two rounds before accidents eliminated him from contention in both rounds. He finished 16th at Anaheim 1 and 15th in San Diego, putting him in a points’ deficit that was already going to be difficult to overcome.

Stewart entered the 2023 season with a ton of confidence and believed all he needed was to stack his chips the right way to get this year’s championship.

Husqvarna is now represented by RJ Hampshire in the 250 West division and Christian Craig in 450s.

Hampshire had a rough weekend in Anaheim 2 and finished 11th in the overall standings after scoring a last place result in Race 2 with a bike sidelined by crash damage and a 13th in Race 3 after another fall.

Craig has not yet scored a top-10 on his 450 with a best of 11th at San Diego and Anaheim 2.

The news of these two injuries comes on the heels of the Pro Circuit Kawasaki team losing three of their four 250 riders.

Last week, Pro Circuit Kawasaki announced Seth Hammaker would miss the season opener with a wrist injury. Almost immediately, it was announced Jo Shimoda would also miss the 250 East opener with a shoulder injury.

Chris Blose will serve as a replacement rider in the 250 East division with Carson Mumford scheduled to replace the injured Austin Forkner in the West.