© Getty Images

Lewis Hamilton slams ‘ridiculous’ Formula 1 car weight

6 Comments

Three-time world champion Lewis Hamilton has slammed the current weight of cars in Formula 1, calling the plans to add an additional 20 kg for 2017 “ridiculous”.

While the updated technical regulations for the 2017 season continue to be debated, the F1 Commission has agreed on a set of new bodywork rules that will alter the look of the cars.

As part of this, the minimum weight of cars will rise from 702 kg to an estimated 727 kg. When Hamilton made his grand prix debut back in 2007, the minimum weight was just 605 kg.

Speaking to reporters in Barcelona earlier this week, Hamilton spoke out against the increased weight of F1 cars, believing that bringing this back down would resolve many of the issues with the technical regulations and aid tire management.

“Particularly the last few days, I’m driving these tires and I’m thinking to myself ‘why is it so difficult? What are the physical challenges with Pirelli? Why is the car sliding the way it does?’” Hamilton said.

“And I’m just realizing when I got to Formula 1 I think the car was 600kg. Now it’s 100kg heavier. I think that makes a big, big difference.

“They don’t actually have to change the regulations much to make the cars three seconds faster, they just need to make the cars lighter. They’re just super heavy, way too heavy.”

When told that the weight would increase by another 20 kg for 2017, Hamilton said: “I think that’s ridiculous personally.

“They were great at 600kg, nice and nimble, it was easier for the tires, we had less tire blow outs. The heavier you make the car, the more force on the tires. So the tires are going to feel even worse. Just puts more stress on Pirelli I guess to produce better tires.”

Hamilton said that drivers should be consulted more about proposed changes to the regulations, and although they are becoming more involved, the ideas for 2017 came from elsewhere.

“I think there have been some meetings to which we’ve been invited to over the last couple of years,” Hamilton said.

“I think we are starting to be more and more involved, but in terms of the regulation changes, I’m not sure if that’s something we’re particularly much a part of.

“I know Charlie [Whiting] is definitely keen to hear from us drivers what we think could be better, so I think they are being more and more open to it, but the ones that have been implemented just now has nothing to do with us I think.”

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.