Hamilton hopes ‘Halo’ would be optional, says he wouldn’t use it

1 Comment

Lewis Hamilton hopes that the proposed ‘Halo’ cockpit protection being trialled by Formula 1 would be optional for drivers if introduced, saying that he would not use it.

The ‘Halo’ made its public on-track debut earlier this week in Barcelona as Ferrari drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel tested the prototype on short runs.

‘Halo’ has split opinion up and down the paddock, with the praise it received from Vettel and Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo being juxtaposed by comments from Hamilton and Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg.

Hamilton took to Instagram on Thursday to call the ‘Halo’ “the worst looking mod in F1 history”, and continued his criticism of it when speaking to reporters on Friday by saying that he would choose not to use it if given the option.

“If it is going to come in, I hope we have an option to use it or not because I will not be using it on my car,” Hamilton said.

“Ultimately it’s the driver’s protection so we should have a choice individually. I should be able to decide whether to have to put that on my car, because it wouldn’t be something that I would choose.

“I like it the way it is now. When I get in the car I know there is a certain risk. Safety is a very, very important issue for sure but there are risks that we take and you have to decide how much of a risk you are going to take.

“For me, I would rather drive without it and risk it.”