NEXTEV TCR has confirmed that former GP2 and Formula Renault 3.5 driver Ben Hanley will replace Oliver Turvey for the Berlin Formula E race in May.
Turvey is unable to race in the German capital on May 21 due to a clash with a Super GT race in Japan, leaving his seat vacant.
NEXTEV TCR announced on Thursday that Hanley had been drafted in to replace Turvey for the race, with the Briton having spent the past few years racing go-karts at a high level.
“I am delighted to be joining NEXTEV TCR for the Berlin round of the 2015/16 Formula E Championship,” Hanley said.
“Formula E has grown to be one of the most exciting racing championships, and I’m looking forward to racing against some of the best drivers in the world.
“The technology in Formula E is very different to any other racing series, so it will be a challenge to get to grips with a very unique type of car, but I will be giving it my all.”
Hanley, 31, finished second in the Formula Renault 3.5 series in 2007 and was a member of Renault’s driver development programme. He has also raced in GP2 and Superleague Formula, and is set to also race in the European Le Mans Series this year.
Spencer Pigot will not return to Ed Carpenter Racing in 2020, according to a story Thursday by RACER.com.
The 26-year-old Floridian, who won the 2015 Indy Lights championship, is expected to be replaced in the No. 21 Chevrolet by 2019 Indy Lights runner-up Rinus VeeKay.
“I’m appreciative of the opportunity ECR gave me,” Pigot told RACER.com. “I understand the reasons they had to go in a different direction, and wish them all the best.”
In 56 NTT IndyCar Series starts, Pigot has 15 top 10 finishes, with a best finish of second at Iowa in 2018. He finished 14th in the 2019 point standings.
VeeKay, who tested in an Indy car twice for ECR in 2019, has six wins in 18 Indy Lights starts, including a weekend sweep of the final two rounds of the season at Laguna Seca in September.
A representative from ECR told NBC Sports Thursday that the team currently could not comment on any driver rumors as the team currently does not have any drivers under contract for the 2020 season, although it is presumed that owner/driver Carpenter will return to the No. 20 entry for the oval rounds.
NBC Sports will provide updates on the story once more information becomes available.