AVONDALE, Ariz. – Quick notes here from Phoenix as we are in the midst of a several hour break in-between the Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires race and the Verizon IndyCar Series’ Desert Diamond West Valley Phoenix Grand Prix , which begins at 8:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
- Several track presidents are here at Phoenix this weekend, which is part of standard recon for track presidents in advance of their own events later in the season. Pocono Raceway’s Brandon Igdalsky and Road America’s George Bruggenthies are here.
- Bruggenthies told NBC Sports the Road America IndyCar date (June 23-26) doesn’t have a title sponsor yet, but has more meetings in the next month to work to finalize one. Ticket sales, though, are going well.
- In a quick catch-up with Juncos Racing team principal Ricardo Juncos, he said the team’s new shop in Speedway, Ind. is progressing well, construction-wise. The team remains on target to open in September or October.
- Despite tough races Saturday in Phoenix, both Belardi Auto Racing drivers Zach Veach and Felix Rosenqvist are pumped for Barber Motorsports Park later this month. Veach, in particular, stood out with several high line moves to advance from 16th up to eighth in the opening 40 laps – where he finished.
- Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald got a ride in the two-seater earlier today. More info will come later, but a quick pic is at the top of this post.
- NBCSN analysts Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy answered a handful of questions on Twitter today – you can find their answers via the @IndyCaronNBCSN account.
- Gonna try a Facebook live video post an hour before we’re on air, for a quick preview of today’s race. You can find the link here.