© Getty Images

Horner: 2017 F1 technical regulations a ‘compromise’

1 Comment

Christian Horner believes that the proposed technical regulations for Formula 1 in 2017 do not go far enough, calling them a “compromise”.

F1 bosses are in the process of finalizing the revised technical rules for next season as they look to improve the on-track racing with a set of new radical regulations.

Officials are targeting an increase of pace of five seconds per lap by increasing the downforce and mechanical grip that cars can have.

With an agreement not being struck at the last F1 Commission meeting in Geneva at the end of February, the FIA postponed finalizing the new regulations until the end of April.

Speaking to the official F1 website, Horner said that the teams know the majority of the new regulations and will likely already be making plans for next season.

“It was planned for the end of February, but because nobody can decide these days it was postponed until April,” Horner said.

“As we already know with a fair degree of certainty what the regulations are for next year, I should think all teams are now balancing their resource between 2016 and 2017.”

Horner said that the new regulations were the result of a compromise, with his belief being that they are not radical enough.

“The cars will have more downforce, more mechanical grip. They will look more aggressive and be more of a challenge for the drivers,” Horner said.

“It is not carried as far as we would have liked – it’s a compromise solution – so let’s see.

“It is better than standing still.”

The 2017 F1 sporting technical regulations are set to be finalized on April 30.

Robert Wickens shares more positive strides toward recovery in new video

Joe Skibinski/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Robert Wickens has made massive steps since sustaining a spinal cord injury in an Aug. 19, 2018 crash at Pocono Raceway.

Since the accident, Wickens publicly has shared his recovery, often uploading videos of his physical rehabilitation on Twitter.

In his most recent update on Wednesday, Wickens shared a video of him walking on a treadmill. Fellow NTT IndyCar Series competitor Tony Kannan, who competes in triathlons during his spare time, also was visible running on the treadmill behind Wickens.

“When I am @TonyKannan [sic] age, I hope to run as fast as him…” Wickens tweeted. “Today was a good day!”

Wickens, who will turn 31 on March 13, first made his return to the IndyCar paddock in last year’s season opener in St. Petersburg. Since then, he’s made a return to the driver’s seat, piloting a specialized Acura NSX prior to the start of last year’s IndyCar race in his hometown of Toronto.

In September, Wickens fulfilled a vow to his wife Karli, by standing with her during their wedding. The new husband and wife also danced together during their reception.

Should Wickens fully recover to resume racing, Arrow McLaren SP co-owner Sam Schmidt has stated that the team’s No. 6 entry will be available for him to drive. Wickens continues to remain as a “driver coach and consultant” for the team.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter