Photo: IndyCar

Chaves settling into Coyne, appreciating multi-car atmosphere

1 Comment

INDIANAPOLIS – It’s not that Gabby Chaves wasn’t appreciative of his situation with Bryan Herta Autosport last year – far from it.

The talented 22-year-old Colombian American was just a rookie on a single-car team and so that presents its own set of challenges.

But Chaves rose to them pretty much all year, scoring both the Indianapolis 500 and Verizon IndyCar Series full-season rookie-of-the-year honors.

Now back in the series after missing the first four races, he’s in the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda for Dale Coyne Racing and in a completely different environment – part of a four-car team for the Indianapolis 500. His teammates are Conor Daly, Pippa Mann and Bryan Clauson.

“It’s the first time that I’ve worked with a multiple-car team during like an official event,” Chaves said Wednesday after ending fifth on the overall speed charts with a best speed of 226.889 mph.

“Definitely something that I’m learning about and that definitely you benefit from when you’ve got a lot of data to share, a lot of ideas and heads working to make you go faster.”

Chaves also admitted the learning process at Indy continues with every run. He’s a past track winner having captured the 2014 Freedom 100 in the Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires for Belardi Auto Racing, having just come up short a year earlier in the dramatic four-wide finish where Belardi’s then-driver Peter Dempsey edged him at the line.

“I think every time you come to this place, it never gets easier, you’re just a little more used to it,” he said.

Chaves was unlucky to finish 17th in the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis, his first start with Coyne, because he could have been similar or better than teammate Daly was on a strategy play.

He missed staying on the lead lap by roughly four seconds before a full-course caution came out. Had he stayed on the lead lap, he’d have likely emerged behind Daly and then-leader Helio Castroneves once the pit stop sequence cycled through, and positioned himself for a potential podium, top-five or top-10 finish. Castroneves ultimately ended second, Daly a season-best sixth.

“It was the first race back for me,” Chaves said. “We had the potential just like our teammate did. We were on the same strategy as Conor (Daly), we just got caught by a safety car at the wrong time. A few seconds difference and we would have been right there as well. We could’ve had a double team run for the top six. We just got unlucky with the safety car.

“I think I took a step forward as well, with this being my first race back and figuring everything out. It felt good in the car. We just have to keep working.”

While Chaves is only formally confirmed for the month of May, don’t be surprised to see him continue for further races in the No. 19 Honda as the season progresses.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.