© FIA Formula E

Buemi, Prost retained by Renault e.dams for third FE season

Leave a comment

BERLIN, Germany – Defending Formula E teams’ champion Renault e.dams has retained Sebastien Buemi and Nicolas Prost for season three, due to start in October.

Buemi and Prost have raced for e.dams since the inaugural Formula E race in the fall of 2014, enjoying a good partnership that has yielded six victories as well as the first teams’ title.

While Buemi fights for the drivers’ championship in season two, e.dams remains at the head of the standing in the teams’ title race, prompting it to continue with the same line-up for season three.

“There are some decisions that are hard to make and others that are logical, and this is definitely the latter,” senior team manager Alain Prost said.

“Seb has shown his speed time and time again with two wins so far this year and is fighting for the championship for the second season in a row.

“Nico has demonstrated consistency and has achieved a string of strong results. We can build on this and look forward to a solid end to the year and an even more successful third season together.”

Buemi believes that having confirmation for season three will give his title hopes a boost as he looks to bridge the 11-point gap to Lucas di Grassi in the final three races of the season.

“Knowing I will be in the Renault e.dams car next year is a definite boost at this point in the year,” Buemi said.

“I’m totally focused on winning the title this season and knowing that I will be around to potentially defend it is very motivating.

“We’ve got a good thing going: the team has gelled well together, we have strong solid support from Renault and Nico and I are very complementary.

“Keeping this going as the championship grows is a real positive for the team.”

Prost added: “Renault e.dams is definitely amongst the top Formula E teams, no question. The technical commitment from Renault e.dams works extremely well and we have one of the quickest cars in the field, if not the quickest.

“I’m sure we will carry the momentum forward into the next season so I’m really pleased to be able to continue with the team for a third year.”

Carb Day: Tony Kanaan is fastest in final practice for Sunday’s Indy 500

IndyCar
Leave a comment

Tony Kanaan wants to put legendary driver and team owner A.J. Foyt back into Victory Lane at the Indianapolis 500.

Kanaan took a big step toward achieving that goal in Friday’s final practice for Sunday’s 102nd running of the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.

Kanaan was fastest of the 33-driver field, with a best lap around the 2.5-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval at 227.791 mph, more than 2 mph faster than the second-fastest driver, Kanaan’s former teammate, Scott Dixon (225.684 mph).

Foyt won a record-tying four Indy 500’s as a driver. It’s been nearly 20 years since he also won as a team owner in 1999 with Kenny Brack behind the wheel.

Marco Andretti was third-fastest (225.200 mph), followed by Sebastien Bourdais (224.815), Charlie Kimball (224.712), 2017 Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato (224.083), Will Power (223.942), Danica Patrick (223.653), Spencer Pigot (223.584) and Ed Jones (223.556).

Other notable driver speeds included:

* Pole sitter Ed Carpenter was 14th fastest (223.219 mph).

* Reigning Verizon IndyCar Series champ Josef Newgarden was 15th (223.186 mph).

* Helio Castroneves, hoping to earn a record-tying fourth 500 win, was 17th (222.913 mph).

* Graham Rahal was 21st (222.526).

* Former 500 winner Ryan Hunter-Reay was 26th (221.916 mph), followed by rookie Robert Wickens (221.821 mph), carrying the mantle for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports with James Hinchcliffe having failed to qualify for the race.

* The biggest surprise was 2016 Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi, who was 32nd fastest (221.374 mph).

We’ll have the full speed grid, as well as full driver quotes, shortly. Please check back soon.

Follow @JerryBonkowski