BERLIN, Germany – Simona de Silvestro says that it feels strange not to be racing in this year’s Indianapolis 500, but remains fully focused on her Formula E commitments with Andretti.
De Silvestro joined Andretti in 2015, taking part in three IndyCar races before being signed to its Formula E operation full-time from the London ePrix last June.
The Swiss racer became the first woman to score points in Formula E at the Long Beach ePrix in March, but confirmed earlier this year that she would not be entering the 100th running of the 500 in part due to a clash between qualifying and the Berlin ePrix.
Speaking in Berlin, de Silvestro conceded that it felt strange to see proceedings kick off at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the 500 and not be there to take part, with 2016’s edition being just the second she has missed since 2010.
“Well I did feel a little strange when they started practicing on Monday because I’ve been used to doing all that,” de Silvestro told NBC Sports.
“For sure, it’s always really special and you want to be part of it if you can. Right now, I’m here in Berlin, maybe I’ll get to go and see it next weekend and watch it.
“It’s always hard when you’re watching and not driving.”
Formula E very much remains the focus for de Silvestro, with budgetary constraints limiting her chances in IndyCar for the time being.
“Formula E is still the focus. IndyCar at the moment is really difficult because a lot depends on budget,” she said.
“Being realistic, finding money at this time of the year is really difficult. We never know what happens next year or anything like that but no, we’re always working on all the options that are out there.”
De Silvestro confirmed that she is yet to firm up any plans for the third Formula E season, which is due to start on October 9 in Hong Kong.
“Nothing yet. Right now, we’ll go to London, maybe talk to some people and see what happens,” de Silvestro said.
“There’s nothing really set right now.”