© Getty Images

Di Grassi to remain with ABT for third Formula E season

Leave a comment

BERLIN, Germany – Lucas di Grassi will remain with ABT Schaeffler Audi in Formula E next season after agreeing a new deal with the German team.

The current championship leader had been linked with a move to the incoming Jaguar operation for season three, but will extend his stint with ABT into a third campaign.

“I will stay with ABT,” di Grassi confirmed to NBC Sports in Berlin ahead of this weekend’s ePrix.

“There were some discussions before on how we continue together and how we could improve our development, improve the team, this and that.

“We reached an agreement, a very good agreement that I’m very happy with. I think we will improve as a team, I will improve as a driver, we have a very good package together.

“We are working very well now. There is no reason in season three to move teams.”

Di Grassi said that the deal was “100% done” before the team duly announced that he would be staying at ABT on Twitter.

Di Grassi confirmed that he has signed a one-year deal with the option of extending it depending on how season three goes.

“Let’s say we start with season three and depending on how season three goes, the involvement with manufacturers, how the championship shapes up, we have an option for a longer term partnership,” di Grassi said.

“But first we need to see how Formula E evolves as a championship, how ABT evolves as a team and how good our results are in season three.”

ABT also confirmed that Daniel Abt will be sticking with the team for next season also, confirming an unchanged line-up.

Dutch Grand Prix becomes fourth Formula 1 race canceled this season

EM VAN DER WAL/ANP/AFP via Getty Images
Leave a comment

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands — The Dutch Grand Prix became the fourth Formula One race canceled this season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, after organizers decided Thursday they didn’t want to play host to an event without spectators.

It was to be the first Dutch GP since 1985, but F1 wants to start the season with no spectators at races.

“We would like to celebrate this moment, the return of Formula 1 in Zandvoort, together with our racing fans in the Netherlands,” race director Jan Lammers said in a statement. “We ask everyone to be patient. I had to look forward to it for 35 years, so I can wait another year.”

The race in Zandvoort was set for May 3 and initially postponed. Fans who bought tickets can use them next year.

The coastal circuit has been redesigned, with some corners banked to facilitate faster racing.

The other races canceled this year were the season-opening Australian GP on March 15; the Monaco GP on May 24; and the French GP on June 28.

Another six have been postponed.

F1 organizers still hope to reschedule those and hold 15 to 18 races this season, starting in July with back-to-back races at the Austrian GP.