Scuderia Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost would not mind retaining both Carlos Sainz Jr. and Daniil Kvyat for the 2017 Formula 1 season.
Kvyat re-joined Toro Rosso for the Spanish Grand Prix in a move that saw Max Verstappen move up to Red Bull’s senior F1 team.
Kvyat’s future with the Red Bull setup beyond the end of the season has been questioned, particularly given the presence of junior driver Pierre Gasly in GP2.
Speaking to the official F1 website, Tost said he would be happy to keep both Kvyat and Sainz for 2017, while also acknowledging that Gasly was the only candidate to step up next season.
“It is too early to say, but I would not mind keeping what we have,” Tost said.
“But should one of the two prefer to leave there is only one other option – Pierre Gasly. All the other drivers are too young and inexperienced.”
Tost expanded on these comments in the FIA press conference on Friday, praising Kvyat for his recovery after being dropped by Red Bull.
“We have only done six races yet and this is a decision that will be made by Red Bull at the end of the season, which driver will be with Toro Rosso in 2017,” Tost said.
“So far, I must say that Daniil has recovered very fast. He is quite happy to be in the team.
“He got more and more familiar with the car and the team and I expect a very good second half of the season from him.
“If you’re in Formula One, it’s not always going up, sometimes there are some obstacles and you have to find a solution how to jump over them.
“Dany has come back to us, he feels well in the team, he knows nearly all the engineers and what we have to provide him with is a competitive car.
“I expect that he, in the second half of the season will show some very, very good races and that he is able to come back and show a good performance because he is a very high-skilled driver.
“He has to come over this difficult period. We have to support him from the mental side and I think the team is pushing hard. I am convinced Daniil will come back with a smile on his face.”