Newgarden listed, but not yet confirmed, to drive at Road America

Getty Images
1 Comment

The entry list is out for the Verizon IndyCar Series’ KOHLER Grand Prix at Road America and the most intriguing part of it revolves around the No. 21 Direct Supply Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet.

A one Josef Newgarden is listed in the No. 21 car.

If he drives, it would be an impressive feat following his collarbone and hand injuries sustained last Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway in an accident with Conor Daly. Newgarden was released from the hospital shortly after the accident.

That being said, Newgarden has not yet been cleared to drive by INDYCAR, and the driver entered for the car could still be changed by the team.

Per a team spokesperson, Newgarden could still drive this week.

Newgarden has hinted he’d like to drive in text messages both to this reporter and to NBCSN contributor Robin Miller, who expanded in a separate piece for RACER.com.

A further decision is expected later this week regarding whether Newgarden or designated fill-in JR Hildebrand will be racing this weekend in the No. 21 car.

Hildebrand will be going to Road America either way, the team spokesperson confirmed. Hildebrand tested with the team last week.

Newgarden currently sits fourth in IndyCar points and has two third-place finishes (Barber Motorsports Park, Indianapolis 500) as his best result this season.

Here’s confirmation of the above from the team:

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.