Toyota still assessing power loss; company president vows to fight on

Photo: Toyota
0 Comments

Two days after its cruel and heartbreaking loss in this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, Toyota is still assessing the cause of what cost it to lose power on its No. 5 Toyota TS050 Hybrid that was poised to take the victory.

In a statement released to media out on Tuesday, Toyota explained the ongoing diagnosis: “We suffered a sudden loss of power. We are ‎still investigating the precise root cause for an issue which we have never experienced previously. A full update will be issued in due course.

“At this time we would like to express our deep appreciation for all the messages of support which we have received in the past days, from fans, colleagues and friends. We will return to Le Mans in 2017 stronger thanks to that support and encouragement.”

The statement comes following words of encouragement from Toyota Motor Corporation President Akio Toyoda on Monday, who said the manufacturer will fight on following this defeat.

“We do not compete without knowing the feeling of loss. Having tasted the true bitterness of losing, we will return to the World Endurance Championship arena next year, and we will return to compete in the battle that is the 24 Hours of Le Mans,” Toyoda said in the statement.

“For our quest to build ever-better cars… For this, we will certainly come back to the roads of Le Mans. I would like to express my gratitude to all of the cars and drivers who fought alongside us on the track at Le Mans; particularly Porsche and Audi. We will be back next year, reborn, and ready to take you on with all of our might.